Personal tools
Sections

Modern in San Clemente

by Tracy Maziek last modified Jun 22, 2006 08:52 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern in San Clemente

Posted by Tracy Maziek at May 01. 2006

I posted this in the LA forum but thought I'd post here too. Looks like more traffic.

My wife and I have lived in San Clemente (SC) for 6+ years now and are planning a modernist remodel. For those not familiar with SC, like most of SoCal, it's filled with spanish tile roofs, cookie cutter tract homes on small lots, blah, blah... We'd like to take our 1,750sf ranch-style (built in 1970) and add space (hopefully 800-1,000sf), reconfigure the common-areas of the interior (to be more usable), and give the whole exterior a modern makeover.

Like most others on this site, we don't want to spend a fortune but have what I think is a reasonable budget of ~$150k. We've got a fairly small lot, so we might (I suspect) need to go up to make this happen. I've been thinking about this porject and playing with design software for about 10 months, but need some professional eyes to help me come up with a good plan/design.

Firstly, in So Cal, is this even reasonable for this budget if we were required to build up (i.e. second story)? Second, are there any designers/architects out there with a modern sensibility that might be willing to take on this project? My only requirements are that they have experience with modern design and are familiar with So.Cal. building codes. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks. I've posted a stiched together shot of the front exterior of the home (don't ask about the tree - good gardner gone bad :)).

Re: Modern in San Clemente

Posted by Jeff Jasper at May 02. 2006

We are spending around $150K to add 400SF to our 1400SF ranch home and remodel every square inch of it. New roof, new floors, removed lots of walls, went from 3 bedroom 1.5 bath to 3 bedroom 3.5 bath, all new kitchen, all new baths, new plumbing, new electrical, new HVAC. But, and this is a big but, we are in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in all of California so everyone charges a bit more to work here since they need a license from the city and expensive parking stickers for their truck and design review officials and our one city inspector nit-picking every last detail. We also had to do things like stain grade solid wood double-hung windows, stain grade solid wood doors, stain grade solid wood garage door, and lightweight concrete shake shingles from Monier (all very expensive).

Posted by Jeff Jasper at May 02. 2006

I see a lot of tree topping since moving here, never saw it in the midwest where I lived before. San Marino does not allow it and would put you on tree probation for doing it (yes they have tree probation). They require all tree and garden people to take city run tree trimming classes if they want to work in the city. We are only allowed to use city licensed tree people and have to get permits for ANY tree work.

We had to cut down a few trees for out remodel and they sent a park service person out to inspect the trees to determine if we were allowed to touch them or not. In the end we were allowed to cut down 2 out of 4 trees, so we had to modify our design around the trees. We are also now required to plant 2 25 box min. trees anywhere on our lot and have them come inspect them once they are in to make sure they are satisfied with them.

Be happy you don't live here.

Posted by Nicole Herold at May 02. 2006

I live in OC (Silverado Canyon) and we are in the middle of a major remodel (~1800 sq ft). We've gone past the $150K mark, unfortunately, and we're not even changing the footprint. The only addition is a small mechanical room underneath the house (we have an open foundation). As part of the remodel we took 1/2 of the house down to the studs, re-wired, added a gas line, 2 new HVAC systems, 27 windows...the list goes on and on.

Depending on how extensive the remodel of the existing space is and how expensive each of the systems you intend to replace is (our roof - aluminum standing seam - cost $30K. windows cost almost as much.), you should be able to do it for your budget. Oh. I forgot to mention that we are doing a good portion of the work ourselves so that we can afford better products. And, of course, it's costing 2x as much and taking 2x as long.

One thing we didn't count on was permits, engineering (we're on round 2), and the OC Fire Authority fees. Ouch.

I have a designer if you want a name and we're happy with our contractor (he's got a very small operation, but he's honest and hardworking. I'm officially the GC). Just shoot me an email (nicoleherold@yahoo.com) so I can pass them your way.

Posted by Steven Comisso at May 08. 2006

Something of interest to you might be www.split-level.com. I have also designed something here in Toronto that might be applicable and to a certain extent a project in DC in 1998.

SC

Posted by Lisa Purdum at June 22. 2006

We LOVE our architects in San Diego. They do modern homes and are so great to work with. Resonable too.
Can't say enough good things about them. So talented. Their own home was featured in Better Homes and Gardens recently. Bob and Laurie Davis
www.davisdavis.com
619-296-1530
Tell them Lisa referred you.

Posted by Lisa Purdum at June 22. 2006

Okay, not only did I post twice - with TYPOS! - but I got the website address wrong, try this:

www.davisdavisarch.com