Personal tools

Help with james hardie siding window details

by shannon schoenberg last modified May 08, 2006 04:21 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Help with james hardie siding window details

Posted by shannon schoenberg at April 15. 2006

Here is our new home:

we are after much stress, about to put on the siding. I am just wondering (since no architects would help us even if we were willing to pay) if anyone can tell us their opinions. We are going to use james hardie smooth panels 12 by 6' and cut them in half like this:

[url href=]another member[/url]

we are going to paint them chocolate and put them only in the recessed middle and bottoms of the cantilevers. Then we will have a linen or antiqueish white vinyl siding on the cantilevers and the rest of the sides and back. EVERYONE has advised us against using the panels in this way but since we feel like every modern idea of ours has been quenched, we really want to stick with this.

My husband has read anything and everything on this website about installation but he still is not sure how to finish off the windows, any advice anyone????????? what do you think about our choices??????? does anyone have any advice about problems they encountered with this application or anything?????

thank you for any advice!!!

Re: Help with james hardie siding window details

Posted by Kent Coston at April 18. 2006

take a look at look for the assembly information. Their product is installed in a similar manner to what you are looking to do. You might be able to get some ideas of how to keep watertight.

Good Luck

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at April 18. 2006

Some resources:

and this one with less concept and more details, particularly around windows:

One thing I will tell you is that tyvek house wrap will deteriorate anywhere it is not completely covered. So even if you have light leaking in through 1/4 slots between your hardie panels you can count on that house wrap becoming toast in a matter of years. You need something UV proof, and vapor permeable. Note that the folks in Seattle used traditional building felt - probably 15lb.

Posted by Bob at April 18. 2006

I applaud your efforts to resist the efforts to squash your modernistic ideas. We need more people like you!!

When I read your post I thought you were referring to ideas re: trimming out around the windows (something for the panels to butt into). One idea would be to install galvanized angle or channel (with mitered corners) and butt the panels into that. You could also form an assemblage of angles to create a U shape/pocket (when combined with the exterior wall) that the panels could slide into.

Aside from the weather resistance of galvanized angles, I think the glavanized will look sharp with the chocolate panels. You could also do aluminum channels or steel painted black...

Good Luck post photos!

Posted by Steven Comisso at May 08. 2006

I had a client that wanted to use Hardi-plank on a 7 storey building but would not provide any attachement details. When I spoke to them they said that they could only guarantee the actual material and not the installation. Given that metal siding, vinyl, EIFS all provide details, once their competitor (Certainteed and maybe others) provide details they will be forced to also. In any case, you are building a rainscreen facade so your back-up has to be well constructed. The 15lb felt suggested with a decent overlap looks like a good bet. On another project using Prodema wood panels, we furred out with mahogany (rot and warp resistant) and attached the panels to it. See for some decent info. Remember to use furring that is at least 3/4 so that any water that gets trapped behind the panels will flow out the bottom. See If you want a cool framing detail, you can go to a place that makes storefront facades and have them fabricate anodized alum frames with mounting concealed mounting clips and surface mount them. You might consider Blue-Skin barrier tape (better than Tuck tape) around the windows and also the frame. Attach your furring and panels and viola.