Personal tools

atl modern

by kimba rizzo last modified Aug 17, 2005 05:20 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

atl modern

Posted by kimba rizzo at August 17. 2005

my husband and i are still in the beginning stages of building our home. i actually started to blog it many, many months (or is it a year) ago. but didn't keep up because it was going so slowly. tonite our architects (Dencity Designs) are actually presenting our house at the ATLMODERN mtg. the 1st contractor we were dealing with in our initial mtg. promised that he would stick to our meager $$110 /sq. ft. budget, well he came back w/ #'s twice that! needless to say we are getting it priced by a new GC. we are waiting on that and dealing with the trees on our plot. i had the the idea to find land that was covered w/ trees -the more the better- was my thinking, not knowing that our city ordinances were very strict for cutting them. we have to pay the city alot! to cut them down. an expense we didn't consider. our land is also long, sloped and rocky, so the excavating, cement and long driveway are really eating our budget. also an expense we were niave(sp.) about. feel free to ak more ??'s

Re: atl modern

Posted by Marshall Mayer at August 17. 2005

Love your cat pic, but can we make it a bit smaller? It's a huge download, will present problems for our modem users (there are a lot of them).

As for the caveats about your process, they seem like the best starting point. Several angles here:

1. choosing an lot;

2. choosing an architect;

3. choosing a general/building contractor; and

4. knowing what you are getting into, as much as you can, before signing any contracts.

Not to say that this is an exhaustive list, but it's a great start. Most of your major decisions (especially related to cost) are informed by the lot/design/builder matrix.

It would be good if you could expand on any and each of these areas, from your personal experience without divulging too much about the individuals/companies involved at painful intersections. Pics (at least of the lot) are good as well.

Re: atl modern

Posted by Steve Schafer at August 17. 2005

I've taken the liberty of resampling the image down to a reasonable size. I've attached it to this message, so you should be able to download it to your computer by first clicking it to open it in a new window, and then right-clicking that image and selecting Save Picture As... (assuming you're using Internet Explorer; the exact sequence of steps will be different for other browsers).