Personal tools

Prefab in southern florida

by Thomas Zdon last modified Nov 28, 2005 09:14 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Prefab in southern florida

Posted by Thomas Zdon at October 30. 2005

I'm curious as to whether anyone has investigated the modern pre-fab in florida. Dwell and others state they can be built in any state - yet Miami-Dade requires new construction to be concrete block. Another location for our house could be on land we own in Puerto Rico - where poured concrete is the requirement. It doesn't seem to me that this would then work?

Re: Prefab in southern florida

Posted by Greg Pohl at October 31. 2005

You know, I was curious about that too, however, I live in Central Florida (Melbourne), and I know that a lot of the new developments are going up without concrete block....I don't know if there are exceptions, or if it is just the county, but I know that it is happening...there is a new trend around here of buying in an area (new village design) and they will give you complete freedom to choose your own builder. It didn't say anything about what kind of materials could or could not be used...Is there a supplier near?

Re: Prefab in southern florida

Posted by Terry Thon at November 28. 2005

We are looking into the Florida Codes and may have a modular design that meets the wind codes utilizing a combination of steel and SIP panels. Sips would be made with concrete board. The main issue is the wind forces and uplift.