Personal tools

Orange County Architect and Builder Recommendations?

by Jeff Harlan last modified Jul 13, 2006 11:54 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Orange County Architect and Builder Recommendations?

Posted by Jeff Harlan at June 28. 2006

I'm looking to build an addition to our 1400sf home in Costa Mesa, to accommodate a growing family and find a home for some furniture that's presently occupying my entire garage. It's actually a pretty simple job -- turn our L-shaped plan into an active courtyard, with the new wing housing a family room, dining area, storage space, and garage replacement. All told, probably another 900 sf (including the garage). We're looking at a budget of $100-150k. Does anyone have any recommendations for architects and/or builders in the OC-LA-San Diego area?

I have a strong idea of the overall design, and am looking for an architect who can give me a fresh perspective and relishes the challenge of merging a modern aesthetic with a fairly traditional (read, non-descipt) existing structure. Maybe more importantly, I need a builder who is honest about his ability to do more than stucco and a composition roof and won't shy away from a modern design. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Re: Orange County Architect and Builder Recommendations?

Posted by Nicole Herold at June 29. 2006

Hi Jeff,

I recently gave another OC LiveModern-er a bunch of names and numbers that I gathered during my research. We are in the middle of a big remodel in Silverado Canyon (tiling the master bath this weekend - yay!).

Email me so we can start a dialogue. Just a warning. I didn't use an architect (draftsperson only) and we've done some of the work ourselves (see above), but I have a great framer/plumber/drywaller/contractor (jack of all type of guy with a contractor's license) and I can at least get you going.

Posted by susan kadota at July 06. 2006

Jeff, posted this at Live Modern, but wanted to send it to you directly too. Susan

Hi Jeff Nicole,

We too are looking for contractor/architect information in OC or anything else you would like to share on this topic. My husband and I are looking to do something similar to a 40 year old tract traditional home in Huntington Beach where my father in law lives. So the idea is that we with our 2 kids would move into a remodeled/expanded home with my father in law. The challenge to all this is that we are trying to do it, at least initially, from long distance and are finding it to be quite challenging. I did meet with a architect team up in Venice who had great ideas and great work, but minimal OC contractor contacts. Not sure if we would go with them or someone else, but we do plan on getting an architect and contractor - we are not too handy!

Anyway, we would appreciate any information you could send our way and would love to hear how your projects are going in OC!

Posted by Nicole Herold at July 13. 2006

Sorry for not responding sooner.

As I mentioned, we didn't use an architect, so I can't really help you there. We used a draftsperson who has design experience because 1) we didn't have $$$ to spend on the plans and 2) we had a very good idea of what we wanted to do and just needed someone to tell us it was feasible.

The contractor we used is Gary Robinson of Robinson Construction ((949) 459-7223 - office; (949) 233-9772 - cell). He is in no way a contractor w/modern experience. In fact, we are probably the 1st modern job he's done, but he is VERY open to learning new things and trying new techniques, even if he doesn't like the style. :cool: He was wonderful and patient in learning how to install our custom solarium windows (the installation manual is 50+ pages long).

Our project is taking a longer time than expected for a number of reasons beyond our control, but after a cold winter of plywood windows and walls it's nice to have drywall and paint to stare at while we work on finishing.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to email. I'm more than happy to talk about our project to anyone who will listen. :grin: