Personal tools
Sections

Building Process,GC

by Erica Sherwood last modified Aug 22, 2005 08:41 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Building Process,GC

Posted by Erica Sherwood at August 18. 2005

If I wanted to be my own GC, what would be the process or steps after purchasing a lot? There has to be some standard steps to doing something like this. Also, I really wanted to purchase a prefab, but I can have a really nice house built around here (north central Texas) for significantly less. I am trying to see where modernism (i.e. prefab) is affordable. Can someone enlighten me? Thank you Erica

Re: Building Process,GC

Posted by luca uggeri at August 19. 2005

I have a book by Katherine Salant, The Brand New House Book, that outlines the realities of being your own GC in a balanced manner.
Alas, this is not a modernist book, but it should help.

Posted by Erica Sherwood at August 19. 2005

Thanks luca. I will check it out. Is there anyone out there that has done this process? Any advice, would be appreciated. Thank you Erica

Posted by Steve Schafer at August 19. 2005

For whatever reason, northern Texas and Oklahoma are about the cheapest places to build a house in the U.S., so many of the financial considerations that apply elsewhere have to be modified.

-Steve

Posted by Mark Meyer at August 19. 2005

Erica,

While it is true that many of the off-the-shelf pre-fabs that are readily available are comparatively expensive in our neck of the woods, there are modular builders out there (in central and North Texas) that will do custom designs, and as you may well imagine their modules are competitive with the relatively inexpensive site-built stick-framed construction. One thing to consider however about the inexpensive stick-built construction you are alluding to is that the quality isn't the best. You are talking about relatively in-efficient insualtion values, low grade finishes, and generally sloppy construction that is covered up with layer upon layer of trim. You aren't gong to get a slick zero-detail modern project for that price, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. That being said if you want something modern, well built, efficient, and tailored to your desires then there are avenues available. You can work with an architect/designer that specializes in affordable modern, pre-fab, modular, etc. and craft a project that will suit your needs and budget (and take advantage of any connections you may have acting as your own GC, as well as walk you through the process of GCing your own project and act as a back-up to prevent any major mistakes). You can also track down modern stock-plans that either suit your needs or can be modified to suit your needs.

LiveModern is the proper venure for you to explore these avenues. You'll find designers/architects that are willing to design within a given budget, you'll find links to modern stock-plans, and you'll find people's blogs documenting their journey through building their own homes.

Regards,
Mark Meyer

Thank you for the insight on this project. Much appreciated.
I have read the blogs, but I have not been able to find what to do next after purchasing a lot. It seems I am unable to find the planning stages of the blogs.

Posted by Mark Meyer at August 19. 2005

Well if you own the lot the next step is to get a design for the house. To do that you'd need an idea of what your consruction budget would realistically be, an idea of the size of the home you want, a program delineating what sort of spaces you need, and maybe some of the aesthetic things you'd like. Then you need to start shopping around for designers/architects or stock plans. Remember that architects and designers are there to help YOU as the homeowner clarify the vision for the project. They are there to help you through the process and keep everything on track in terms of design and budget.

Mark

Posted by Splatgirl at August 19. 2005

Hi Erica
I'm GCing our home...
Do check out the early entries on my blog, Modern in MN, where I discussed the order of events particular to our situation. Hopefully you find this helpful and if not, feel free to PM me.

In a nutshell, what happens after you find land has a lot to do with how you intend to finance the land purchase and construction of the home. Start looking into your financing options now if you haven't already because there are several ways you can work it.

Also, make sure the lot/land can accomodate what you want to do and is buildable. Read up on the zoning ordinances, etc. for your intended location prior to entering into a purchase agreement.

Then you need to find/finalize your home design, which could and probably will take WAY longer than you expect, and I mean on the order of many months, possibly year(s). Then you move on to submitting construction documents and obtaining a building permit, and completing a Sworn Construction Statement as part of obtaining your construction financing. This is basically an itemized list of project costs, which means you're going to need to get preliminary bids for every component of the project to show that you can build the house for the amount of money the bank has agreed to give you.

Obviously this is way oversimplified, but you get the gist.

Thank you so much for that info. Both of YOU!! I feel more confident in the decisions I am about to make. In order to find your early entries of your blog, do I search for Modern in MN or is it on one of the 25 pages of blogs? Thank you
Erica

Posted by Splatgirl at August 20. 2005

http://www.livemodern.com/Members/splatgirl/blog?b_start:int=20

Entries are ordered from the newest to the oldest, so the beginning posts are at the bottom.

Posted by Erica Sherwood at August 21. 2005

Thank you so much for that blog link. I just spent the last hour reading everything..Your house is my dream house now!!
Erica

Posted by Mod House at August 22. 2005

http://ownerbuilderbook.com/forum/

has a wealth of information for the owner-builder.