Personal tools

Resources/process to hire Architect

by Steven last modified Apr 12, 2006 07:51 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Resources/process to hire Architect

Posted by Steven at April 05. 2006

Are there any good resources on the process of finding and hiring a good local architect? One that has good modern design, alternative materials, and knowledgeable about various construction methods(icf, sip, concrete panel, etc.) who can be helpful in wading through all the choices to achieve a cost conscious budget? I plan on building a few modern single family homes, rehabbing/expanding SFH, and smaller multifamily loft type units for investments on lakefront property, urban infill lots, and condo conversions of warehouse space.

I always see profiles of various mod homes w/ no real mention of budget. Most of the profiles are of architects' own homes!

I'm thinking the architect needs to be local to keep on top of changes at jobsite.

Any thoughts, experiences, or recommendations would be appreciated!

Re: Resources/process to hire Architect

Posted by Splatgirl at April 05. 2006

I've found the AIA website a useful starting point, and the internet in general, for that matter.
Are there any projects in your area that you like or admire? It's usually pretty easy to figure out the firm or architect responsible with a little digging.
Poke around on the web and then start making calls.

While we ultimately did not end up hiring an architect, I did quite a bit of searching, calling and exploring that, in hindisight, was very worthwhile.
My experience leads me to think that you are unlikely to find a single person who is fluent in all of the subjects you mention in your post, but certainly you can find someone who specializes in one or more of those things and more importantly, is enthusiastic about your goals.

Posted by Jeff Kalm at April 06. 2006

Where are these projects going to be located at? I have a small design firm in northern minnesota and would be very interested in finding out more about your projects. If you would like to discuss some options I would be more then happy to talk with you.

Posted by Steven at April 12. 2006

Good input splatgirl. W/ architects help I'd prob GC the SFH myself. Jkalm, projects will be in Minneapolis metro, Lake Minnetonka, Prior Lake. Please post some pics of your mod work or a link. Thanks.

Posted by Jeff Kalm at April 12. 2006

I am just getting started and don't have a lot of mod work out yet. I have a few modern projects I worked on while living and working in Arizona, and also a few sketchs and renderings of things I am doing in my own house. I can get you the images of what I have via email if you would like to see them. Never had any luck posting them on the forums before. My email is My company will be located up in Duluth so it would be easy to travel to job sites and meetings. Hope to hear from you and then get you samples of the work I have done.