Personal tools

New home in Oakland, CA

by LiveModern Webmaster last modified Feb 20, 2006 01:06 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

New home in Oakland, CA

Posted by Jim Meehan at February 20. 2006

Hi all,

Just found these forums -- not sure how I'd missed them before. Thought I'd introduce myself. My wife and I are building a new modern home in Oakland, CA. We purchased a vacant lot in the Oakland hills in May 2004, and hired Leger Wanaselja Architecture in Berkeley about the same time. One of their other projects was recently featured in the Dec/Jan 2006 issue of Dwell.

We really focused on green design and construction. Efficient utilization of space, not building more than we need, minimizing impact to the site, etc. Cate Leger came up with a 1600 sq. ft. design (4BR/2BA + 2 car garage) that we really love. We just broke ground in November, and are hoping to move in around September 1.

The exterior will be part stucco and part HardiPlank. We'll have a slightly sloped roof, with deep eaves and exposed rafter tails. Aluminum windows from Blomberg with a clear finish -- many of them will be large 7' x 7' units. Inside we'll have wool carpet in the bedrooms, hardwood everywhere else. Salvaged Douglas fir baseboards, door trim, and window sills. Exposed Parallam beam in the living/dining/kitchen area. Lots of skylights throughout.

I will try to get the plans online somehow to share with all of you. Right now I have only hard copies. I do have some construction photos up though:

I'm sure we'll have tons of questions for all of you, especially as we get into the stretch here where we're selecting finishes and fixtures. I'm also more than happy to answer questions about our process/project for others who are considering building a new modern home.

Jim Meehan
Oakland, CA