Personal tools
Sections

AZ Industrial

by Sandra Feneck last modified Sep 17, 2005 08:36 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

AZ Industrial

Posted by Sandra Feneck at September 08. 2005

We are building an industrial style home in the Arizona desert. Yes, we have made the acquaintance of rattlesnake, gila monster and scorpion neighbors--so will be looking for suggestions on modern fence (wall) materials.
Right now, we are trying to decide on the wood for our loft floor. This will also be the ceiling of the living area below, and the best we have come up with so far is 2x6 tongue and groove redwood. Any other ideas? Keep in mind, we want it to look industrial, so nothing slick or polished will do, and it has to look good on both sides. It must also be affordable and workable. All ideas welcome.

Re: AZ Industrial

Posted by Karen Pittman at September 09. 2005

Hi,
What will you have supporting your floor/ceiling? I'm assuming beams or floor trusses or something that will be visible from below? If you leave it open so that you can see the back side of the flooring material, you won't get any sonic isolation between the two areas. Not knowing your floorplan or how you'll use the space, I don't know if this is important.

I've got 2x6 TG pine floors upstairs, and the floor trusses are enclosed with insulation between the sheetrock ceiling (no, sadly, not industrial!) below and the floor above. This cuts down on most sound transmission between my bedroom upstairs and the bedroom and bathroom downstairs.

You can certainly save money by not having a separate subfloor and finish floor. Depending on your floor support system, if you use TG material, you might consider gluing the floor boards down to the supports to avoid squeakiness.

Posted by Sandra Feneck at September 15. 2005

It will be supported by steel beams below, and the whole structure will be visible. We're not going to worry too much about the noise, because it's just the two of us. How has the pine held up for you? Thanks

Posted by Karen Pittman at September 15. 2005

So far, so good -- I've lived there for a little more than a year. I do take shoes off inside and require guests to do the same, mostly for grime control, but it almost certainly helps keep the wear down. It's stained black and sealed with polyurethane. There are a few nicks where things have dropped, but nothing a black Sharpie won't fix.

I think steel and redwood will be really attractive.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at September 15. 2005

I'd do doug fir in a laminated plank. You can probably get a grade that is low finish grade and that will make it less expensive too.

http://www.fillerking.com/index.html

Posted by Matthew Melonio at September 17. 2005

How about red oak planks wire brushed and bleached - you don't even need to mill for tongue and groove? The wire brushing removes some of the woods fast growth, revealing the woods structure. And, the wood-bleach gives the wood an almost white color (you can still recognize a tonal variation in the wood).
A hand-scraped finish leaves a nice matte surface that has a subtle luminescence. Looks really nice!