Sections

Prefab home in Asheville :)

by brigitte mueller last modified Sep 27, 2010 02:42 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Prefab home in Asheville :)

Posted by brigitte mueller at July 29. 2010

hello everyone,

we finally bought a lot in Asheville, NC - it took several trials to get a prefab house approved, since most of the HOA suspected a double wide instead of a home ;).

well, THIS issue is over now.

but we have still a couple of items, we will have to work on (estimated moving date is 12/31/2010).

one big thing we don't want to customize is the staircase. we were born and raised in germany and don't like the 'standard' stair cases too much.

we want something modern: wooden treats (beech), no raisers, silver metal as structure, railing should be a mix of wood and steel). we need to get an U-shape.

after a little research I think, most of the (affordable) stair cases we like are made in sold in europe, mostly in UK. but for example 'arke' is selling a couple of nice kits. the most affordable one seems to be the compact http://www.arkestairs.com/kompact.php, sold at lowes and home depot.

they also offer custom kits http://www.arkestairs.com/genius/020.php#, which might offer more possibilities. they are made in and shipped from Italy and not as expensive as I thought (between 4000 and 8000).

I was wondering, if anyone has experience with arke stairs. our staircase will be in the foyer and I just don't want it to look cheap - too bad, you can't see it somewhere .....

I don't think we are in need of stairs made in Italy though ;), since there are so many craftsmen around and such a variety of great wood. and it's not eco friendly at all ....

so far we got one estimate from a local company, which was 16000 dollars *ouch*.

if you know another company and would share the information, that would be great !

overall I really like the idea and all of the advantages of a modular home a lot. Our's will be the auburn from nationwide, we added two module and somehow changed the whole house - but it's still a modular, healthy built home and we can't wait :)

thanks

queenofbavaria (soon to be queen of WNC ;) )

Re: Prefab home in Asheville :)

Posted by Robin Noble-Lehan at September 27. 2010

Previously brigitte mueller wrote:

hello everyone,

we finally bought a lot in Asheville, NC - it took several trials to get a prefab house approved, since most of the HOA suspected a double wide instead of a home ;).

well, THIS issue is over now.

but we have still a couple of items, we will have to work on (estimated moving date is 12/31/2010).

one big thing we don't want to customize is the staircase. we were born and raised in germany and don't like the 'standard' stair cases too much.

we want something modern: wooden treats (beech), no raisers, silver metal as structure, railing should be a mix of wood and steel). we need to get an U-shape.

after a little research I think, most of the (affordable) stair cases we like are made in sold in europe, mostly in UK. but for example 'arke' is selling a couple of nice kits. the most affordable one seems to be the compact http://www.arkestairs.com/kompact.php, sold at lowes and home depot.

they also offer custom kits http://www.arkestairs.com/genius/020.php#, which might offer more possibilities. they are made in and shipped from Italy and not as expensive as I thought (between 4000 and 8000).

I was wondering, if anyone has experience with arke stairs. our staircase will be in the foyer and I just don't want it to look cheap - too bad, you can't see it somewhere .....

I don't think we are in need of stairs made in Italy though ;), since there are so many craftsmen around and such a variety of great wood. and it's not eco friendly at all ....

so far we got one estimate from a local company, which was 16000 dollars *ouch*.

if you know another company and would share the information, that
would be great !

overall I really like the idea and all of the advantages of a modular home a lot. Our's will be the auburn from nationwide, we added two module and somehow changed the whole house - but it's still a modular, healthy built home and we can't wait :)

thanks

queenofbavaria (soon to be queen of WNC ;) )

Hi Brigitte,

Can't help you with the stairs - although the Kompact look cool in the pictures.  We are looking at prefab homes and I wonder where you bought yours?  Thanks.    Robin Noble-Lehan