Personal tools
Sections

Completion is nearing

by David Reich last modified Mar 27, 2008 07:32 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Completion is nearing

Posted by David Reich at February 25. 2008

Here are a few photos of the Casa de Mariposa which is nearing completion. Unfortunately, I have not done the best job of keeping up the project blog www.beachinmod.blogspot.com but will be updating with a chronological assortment of photos and tall tales about the project soon.  We have the interior 99% complete and the storm/barn doors are up. This week the pavers for the pool deck and the backyard are being installed. Josh Hunter with HunterLandscaping is also hard at work doing his installation of some hardscapes and minimalist lighting.  There is so much to share about this project and welcome your comments as we begin to wrap it up and start enjoying it.

Attachments

Re: Completion is nearing

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at February 25. 2008

Jeeze, you didn't even have the slab poured when we already had our panels going up! Looks like we are still a couple of months from completion. I am jealous, it looks wonderful.

Posted by David Reich at February 27. 2008

Thanks for the kudos....Yes, it has gone by fast - up to a point and then all projects seem to go on and on. I will add a couple of points: 1.) the envelope went up very fast and thus the dry-in stage was achieved quickly and 2.) although it has seemed to drag on since then, some of this was due to my simultaneous design but keeping things simple and the home being only a small cottage has made it go by quickly. We are still not quite finished (or furnished) but the home will be available to use for spring time at the beach in a couple of weeks. We are preparing for a HERS test (either by Guld Power or by a local contractor). Anyone had this done before?? Once this is done, we will have the home reviewed and feel certain it will be certified under the Florida Green Building Coalition. The pools deck and patio pavers went in the last two days and the landscaper will be doing the hardscapes over the next couple of days. We are using quite a bit of aggregate for walkways and such called "watercolor" mix that is a blend of local materials so not to alter the pH of the soil. Rain colection barrels will go in soon also. Not bad for a 1block walk from 1 mile of dedicated beach  of white sand on the guld of Mexico!

Attachments

Posted by Maze at March 01. 2008

I really like the simplicity of your home. Can you tell me what your fence is? I think it looks pretty cool. Thanks! Maze

Posted by David Reich at March 01. 2008

Thanks. The fence is 1x4 and 1x6 PT on 4x4 posts. All joints and SS screws filled and belt sanded  then primed and painted. SS fence hinges. I think I still have the SketchUp model file of a section of it if it helps.

Posted by cdrmemphis at March 04. 2008

Love the house! On your blog you mention that this place is built as a rental- is that still true? We might like to be a renter at some point as we vacation at the Gulf.

Who are you using for your rain barrels? We would like to use this system but are trying to get the look we want.

I love the metal sliding door and house numbers!

my blog: www.daveandchristina.com

Posted by David Reich at March 05. 2008

Previously cdrmemphis wrote:

Love the house! On your blog you mention that this place is built as a rental- is that still true? We might like to be a renter at some point as we vacation at the Gulf.

Who are you using for your rain barrels? We would like to use this system but are trying to get the look we want.

We'd love to have you visit the house for a vacation. We will have it listed and marketed for rent very soon. Working on some simple, functional furnishings now and hope to have it fully complete (sans landscaping which is a sweat equity job) in the next two weeks. We are glad to rent to all as long as you are not "springbreakers!!".

As far as the rain collection, this is also work in progress. The best small system I have seen out there is the Braewater system - Model Cottage 1A. This is a 3x75gal tank system that is a complete kit with 1/2hp 110V pump and all. The tanks are black PE and are rectangle. I was headed this way until I saw the price tage for the complete system (about $1300). Wow! Then I began looking back into just re-using (a good thing) the std. white PE food quality barrels. These are available a 1/2 mile from my cottage for $15 each. All the parts needed to make the system are listed online at various sites.

Posted by David Reich at March 05. 2008

Here are a couple of new exterior photos.

Attachments

Posted by David Reich at March 25. 2008

Not sure if I full replied to your earlier but here it is again. A good company for complete rain barrel systems is Braewater in NC. Although I an putting together an above-ground system using recycled food/beverage barrels and fitting. Should have it up next week.

As far as the rental, bring it on. It is now listed on www.vrbo.com . Go to the Panama City area and then select Laguna beach. You should find it. Let me know if not.

Thanks

Previously cdrmemphis wrote:

Posted by David Reich at March 27. 2008

Just a few items shy of completion but I have added a few updated photos to share anyway as we are already enjoying the home and already have some renters lined up for May. My parents are enjoying a few days there as the first real guests to the Casa de Mariposa and they are loving it and hitting on some great weather. There are a few items to still consider work in prgress this spring. We still havr to get the rain barrels in place although we have the custom made galvanized connector box and downspout completed. This was made by Greg at GZ Metals in Panama City. Greg is a master a sheet metal fabricating and runs the finest shop of its type on this side of the Atlantic. Got most of the landscaping in with the help of Lucy - my 7 year old and we had a blast watching it unfold. It is a minimalist approach using only indigenous plants and hardscapes. We have our HERS test lined up by Gulf Power in a couple of weeks which is the first step in getting the Casa certified under the Florida Green Building Coalition guidelines. Anyone have any experience with HERS testing. Should be an issue with the Steel and foam SIPS walls and roof and all double paned, Low E, impact resistant windows. Let us know what you think and don't forget - book your rental at the Casa de Mariposa located by the "worlds most beautiful beaches" soon.

Attachments