Thank You, LiveModern
Average Rating: ( 0 votes)
Thank You, LiveModernPosted by richierod at September 26. 2007
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by Marshall Mayer at September 27. 2007
Wow! The house looks fantastic. It really turned out well. Before you start your next big project, I wish you would divulge a few secrets about how you kept your costs so low (even in the LA market!).
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by Gregory La Vardera at September 27. 2007
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by Jason at September 28. 2007
Congrats on pulling this off. The house looks great. Can you post more photos or a link to a photo site?
If you were able to pull this off in LA for a little over $100 you a genius.
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by amy at October 23. 2007
Your home looks incredible. How on earth did you keep your costs down? My budget is similar to yours, and I'm getting similarly ridiculous estimates...
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by richierod at October 24. 2007
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by amy at October 24. 2007
Thanks so much for the details. Your reply is going into my notebook! And it confirmed some of my ideas: that is, stick with readily available, common materials. And shop around. I can't do electrical work, but I can do the shopping around part.
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by Splatgirl at December 01. 2007
Just payin it forward, my friend, just payin it forward
I dunno about everyone else, but what, if anything you may have gotten from all my ramblings you've already repaid at least tenfold....your house looks amazing and is just beautiful. Congrats, congrats, congrats.
I think that between your project and mine, the point about using simple, common materials to keep costs down and DIY-ing as much as possible could not be clearer. Likewise the savvy shopping thing.
Hopefully someday there WILL be a plug-and-play solution to affordable modern but until then I think we need to start an "If we did it so can you" support group!
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by Peter Smith at January 28. 2008
"I love the beautiful Italian baths, they are so sleek and minimal. But they are freaking way too expensive. I found some products that are close enough in appearance or can be made to be close enough in appearance to emulate the look without the price."
May I ask you to share your sources for these bath products
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by richierod at January 28. 2008
My vanity in the master bath was found on ebay. So were the plumbing fixtures.
Grohe makes $400 shower valves. They also make $100 shower valves. Guess which I chose.
The shower pans in the master and guest baths are Swanstone, the largest they make, set 6" down so that their highest point is even with the finished floor. Eventually I will build a teak grate to lay over the shower pan, creating what looks like monolithic floor surface without the drainage headaches.
Master bath lighting from Chiasso.com
Toilets by Toto, their dual flush model.
Shower walls are Minerit Lightweight, a cement board that I sealed and attached with construction adhesive.
Hope this is what you are looking for. Good luck!
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by Jason at January 31. 2008
Richie - again, nice work!
Couple of questions.
1. Are you a licensed electrician? I am assuming you were if you were able to do the electrical work yourself - doesn't look like you are out in the country!
2. How difficult is the plumbing and electrical work? I have done a ton of low voltage computer and network wiring in the past and have always wondered that what it takes to pull this off.
Having worked on several of my own houses, I can appreciate how much work you have done here. Did you factor into your costs your lost wages?
How long did this take to build?
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by richierod at January 31. 2008
Hey Jason, thank you for your compliments.
1) I am not a licensed electrician. But in my city if you are the "owner/builder", you may do whatever you want on your house. Of course, it must pass inspection.
2) If you have done low voltage and networking, then you can do electric. Signal flow is signal flow. What's more tricky than the actual wiring is making sure you are putting the right boxes in the right places. Ceiling light fixtures and exterior light fixtures tripped me up a little on this, but I worked around my ignorance. There are some general rules to follow regarding the "load" you put on each circuit breaker, but nothing that can't be learned from a book. I am lucky to have a couple of electrician friends who I can call in a pinch.
3) I did NOT factor in my time or lost wages. That would make my bottom line much less impressive!
4) It took one year from move out to move in. The drawback to being your own contractor is that there are still things to do around the house. I'd say we are 95% there. I'm nibbling away at it one day at a time. Once you move in, however, things slow down dramatically.
Although it was grueling at times, I had a great time.
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by Steve at April 23. 2012
I am really impressed that you managed to do all that with a very modest budget of $250000. I would have thought you would blow your budget looking at how good the finished renovation looks. Was there a need to install radiators, or is the weather at LA warm enough at night?
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by richierod at April 24. 2012
We had a new forced-air heating and cooling system installed, highest efficiency possible. In L.A., from about mid-December to April you need to have heat. SInce we live fairly near the ocean, the air-conditioning is only used for a total of two weeks a year - the house is built to take advantage of the ocean breezes that kick up in the afternoon.
Re: Thank You, LiveModernPosted by luo yang at June 05. 2013
In modern life LED is indispensable.LED bulbs have a number of advantages over both halogen lights and incandescent light bulbs. In fact, from an environmental perspective, one can easily argue that CFL bulbs, while reducing demand for electricity, will cause tremendous harm. This is a way to enhance the festive mood and also welcome guests on any special occasions. With some wall lights, coloured filters are also available to heighten the glow. You will find that both flexible and fixed LED light strips can be created to the exact length and specifications you need, helping you create even, efficient, clear light in your entire display or across your entire counter.For more information: led corn bulbs,90W led flat panel lights,100W led high bay lights,20W led garden lights