Personal tools

Our quest to build a modern home in Atlanta

by Christopher Schild last modified Dec 10, 2010 07:57 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Our quest to build a modern home in Atlanta

Posted by Christopher Schild at December 10. 2010

My fiancee and I started a house search about three months ago and much to our surprise we found an affordable vacant lot in an in-town Atlanta neighborhood. We want to build a modern home, but the lot is in a neighborhood of homes built in the 20s and 30s. Luckily, the the lot is not in a historical district, but we want to respect the look of the neighborhood. The last thing we want to do is alienate our future neighbor nor do we want to build a home that we'll have hard time selling later on down the road.

We've noticed a number of modern prairie homes popping up around Atlanta and we like the look. We could go for a modern twist on the craftsman homes you find in Atlanta, but frankly, I find Atlanta is becoming saturated with craftsman homes.

So I'm soliciting LiveModerners for any ideas. We're very early in the process so the drawing board is pretty blank. We haven't closed on the lot yet so nothing is certain.

If you interested in learning about our quest, we're blogging our experience at Hopefully, others can learn from our experience as well.