Personal tools
Sections

Seeking Modern Builder for New House in Atlanta, Georgia

by Joy Burgess last modified Nov 02, 2007 08:41 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Seeking Modern Builder for New House in Atlanta, Georgia

Posted by Joy Burgess at February 05. 2007

We are building a new modern house in Atlanta, Georgia and already own the land. Does anyone know of any "good" and reliable modern builders in the Atlanta area? We are ready to begin construction, but can't locate modern builders. Called Black Dog Construction from a recommendation, but their numbers have been disconnected... We all know how that goes.....Any help would be appreciated...

Re: Seeking Modern Builder for New House in Atlanta, Georgia

Posted by Cara Cummins at February 07. 2007

Posted by Lisa Peebles at February 07. 2007

Previously Joy Burgess wrote:

We are building a new modern house in Atlanta, Georgia and already own the land. Does anyone know of any "good" and reliable modern builders in the Atlanta area? We are ready to begin construction, but can't locate modern builders. Called Black Dog Construction from a recommendation, but their numbers have been disconnected... We all know how that goes.....Any help would be appreciated...

Have you considered doing a contemporary prefab? I work with a modular dealer out of Nashville, TN called Homegistics, and we build with Geometric Building Systems in Lewisburg, TN. We're doing some great modern construction this year. I know of a general contractor in the Cumming, GA area who could do the site preparation and button up work. Is your land anywhere near there? We are working with Hive Modular www.hivemodular.com on a project and their designs are amazing. Let me know if I can help. Lisa Peebles 615-456-8160

Posted by Joy Burgess at February 13. 2007

Previously Lisa Peebles wrote:

Previously Joy Burgess wrote:

Have you considered doing a contemporary prefab? I work with a modular dealer out of Nashville, TN called Homegistics, and we build with Geometric Building Systems in Lewisburg, TN. We're doing some great modern construction this year. I know of a general contractor in the Cumming, GA area who could do the site preparation and button up work. Is your land anywhere near there? We are working with Hive Modular www.hivemodular.com on a project and their designs are amazing. Let me know if I can help. Lisa Peebles 615-456-8160

Posted by Dustin Ehrlich at February 23. 2007

You could try Wieler Construction, all they do is modern. Nathan Wieler is the owner of the first Dwell Home too. I'm working with him on a project now. He is based in the Raleigh area, but works all over. He currently has projects in Maryland and New York, so he has no problem working out of state. Contact him through is website, www.wieler.com , tell him Dustin sent you!

Posted by Don Peterkofsky at May 14. 2007

Lisa,

I'm about to purchase land in an East Coast urban infill area (Wash, DC), and am looking at prefab producers.

I was very interested to see that you have experience with Hive.  I've been interested in their designs, but it's hard to tell if and how many of the prefab modular homes have actually been built.

Could you please expand on your experience with Hive?  For example, what exactly was the context of working with them (a spec house, community, your own house, etc.), what they were building (one of their prefab modular designs), cost, timeline, how they work (who does site work, GC, button-up, etc.)?

Thanks very much,

Don P.

Posted by Don Peterkofsky at May 14. 2007

Previously Dustin Ehrlich wrote:

You could try Wieler Construction, all they do is modern. Nathan Wieler is the owner of the first Dwell Home too. I'm working with him on a project now. He is based in the Raleigh area, but works all over. He currently has projects in Maryland and New York, so he has no problem working out of state. Contact him through is website, www.wieler.com , tell him Dustin sent you!

Dustin,

What experience have you had working with Wieler?  Is it with a custom home or one of their prefab designs?

I am interested in their "Stitch House" prefab modular, but the only built work of theirs that I've seen an example of is the one house they built near Chesapeake Bay, which I think was a custom design.  It doesn't appear that the Stitch design has ever been built.

Thanks,

Don P.

Posted by Dustin Ehrlich at August 20. 2007

I am an architect working with Wieler on a few projects. Most recently (and recently finished) was a custom modern house in Chapel Hill, NC. He has not built a stitch yet. Of course, if you were interested in doing something that's not off-the-shelf, I'd love to talk with you. Here is a link to the house Wieler and I just finished:

http://wieler.com/homes/featured-projects/chapel-hill/info/

Posted by Judith Knight at November 02. 2007

Brian Mills of Montagne Designs is great. I have worked with him and know several others who he has built great buildings for. He is a gem. brianmills@montagnedesignbuild.com.