Personal tools
Sections

Anyone know of a good resource on how to estimate remodeling costs?

by Darren Dobier last modified Oct 08, 2010 12:16 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Anyone know of a good resource on how to estimate remodeling costs?

Posted by Darren Dobier at June 02. 2010

My wife and I are considering remodeling our home in Minnesota.  In the plans are to add a new story, enclose with glass and heat a current covered outdoor patio.  We've been working with an architect and just got a rough estimate on what this "small" remodel would roughly cost.  When the builder said, "$372,000" my jaw hit the floor.  He did seem honest and like he know what he was talking about but I just can't believe it would cost that much.  So...I'm trying to roughly calculate the material costs for the project to see if his numbers add up.  Calculating the number of 2x4s needed, costs of windows, plywood, ... isn't too bad as I can figure that out.  I'm just not familiar with what the others costs (electrical, heating, insulation, trusses, ...) are.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I'd love a spreadsheet where I can calculate the costs room by room instead of rolling all up into one figure.  This would allow me to compare the estimated costs to he contractor costs and see if they are even close.  I'm just looking to get close, not exact.

Thanks.

Darren

Re: Anyone know of a good resource on how to estimate remodeling costs?

Posted by Bob Ellenberg at June 12. 2010

I think your methodology for trying to analyze the cost is flawed.  Is your architect experienced in desiging and overseeing remodeling projects?  Did you give him a budget?  The answer to both of these should be yes, and if not, why not?  Your architect is who you should be discussing the cost with and why they are so high or recommending a contractor they have worked with in the past.  I have known people who found a good contractor first and have that GC in on the planning with the architect from the beginning and they ended up with a design that worked for their budget because the contractor is usually better able to advise the architect as to what the costs are likely to be.

Re: Anyone know of a good resource on how to estimate remodeling costs?

Posted by jimsonburg at October 08. 2010

Actually prices are depends on various factors like locality area, labor charges, choosing contractor and many more factors. But, I would suggest to you that whenever you want a contractor for your home repair or any home work try to utilize online web portals like http://www.hire-a-contractor-now.com/ because these kinds of web portals having more contractors database along with his skill set you can easily get reliable contractor by utilizing these web portals at your doorstep with competitive price.