Personal tools
Sections

LV PreFab House in Montana

by Adam Cotton last modified Apr 07, 2007 12:43 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

LV PreFab House in Montana

Posted by Adam Cotton at November 27. 2006

Hi I'm looking to build an LV house around Missoula, Montana.  Has anyone built one around here or elsewhere?  Just wanted to pick someone's brain who has gone through the process. 

Thanks,

Adam

Re: LV PreFab House in Montana

Posted by Marshall Mayer at December 08. 2006

Adam,

Being from Montana, and having some knowledge of the LV (though I have not built one), you'd have to check what the local building departments are for snow load and then see if the LV kit will meet or exceed these requirements. There are probably some other considerations, but that's the main one you should check on first, especially if you are not building in one of the valleys.

MArshall

Re: LV PreFab House in Montana

Posted by Tom Morris at April 07. 2007

Snow load is important and you may not want a "flat" roof, meaning increasing the roof's pitch over the prefab specs.  I have a home outside Helena, though modern, looks a bit conventional from the outside, do to snowload, insulation needed, fire protection ect.  This was stick built though not a prefab kit.   Insulation is important in this area.  Built a double stud wall, 8" thick, have not regretted it.  Solar gain is also important for the climate, hopefully your not in the air-inversion smog that used to plague Missoula.
Tom

Hi I'm looking to build an LV house around Missoula, Montana.  Has anyone built one around here or elsewhere?  Just wanted to pick someone's brain who has gone through the process. 

Thanks,

Adam