Personal tools
Sections

My Micro House

by Gerald Conrad last modified Sep 25, 2007 11:50 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

My Micro House

Posted by Gerald Conrad at January 22. 2007

I just sold my 2,000sf house in Upstate NY becuause I only lived in half of it and it was becooming too expensive to heat. What I'd really like is a small, modern house in the South, maybe near Columbia SC or in upstate SC. So I designed this 600sf, flat-roofed contempory:

Living Size: 28'x24', 672sf

Living Rm 16-0x11-4 w 2-sided wood stove
Dining Rm 11-0x11-4 w corner hutch
Bedroom 11-0x11-4 w 2'x8' closet
Kit/laundry 8-0x11-4, w broom closet
Bath 5-0x8-0 w skylight
3'x5' utility area for water heater and furnace

Construction details:

Concrete slab floor, extending 4' outside (w thermal break)
2x6 stud exterior walls, 2x4 stud interior walls
Open-web custom-taper roof trusses, rigid insulation on top
Panel ceiling (removable for access to wiring, A/C, etc)

South glazing: three 8' sliding units, 4' roof overhang
East glazing: one 8' slider in BR, two 4' awnings in LR
West glazing: One awning window over sink
Vertical siding, wood or metal

4'x4' firewood storage area
4'x4' planter
Optional carport with 8'x8' storage shed

Attachments

Re: My Micro House

Posted by Tom Morris at April 10. 2007
Nice design.  I would make one modification, I would kick out the bedroom closet into the carport area, assuming the concrete slab is all one pour the change wouldn't cost much more.    That change would allow a door way into the bath from the bedroom, could be a pocket door to utilize wall space on that side, it also eliminates the corner wall as you enter the bedroom which gives better flow.  When I built my house I used excess glass panels from a supplier in Minn.  At the time there was also a supplier down south, think they were in atlanta.   Might take some google searching as this was ten years ago, but sure they are still around.   They had excess themopane panels from wall units and also from office buildings and other construction.  The cost was far less than standard units, and they were  lowe and tempered, saved me a fortune, even though they had to be framed in.

Posted by Jason Hammond at April 14. 2007

Very nice use of space. Please post more images of your project as it progresses.

Jason

Posted by Gerald Conrad at September 10. 2007

Previously Tom Morris wrote:

Nice design.  I would make one modification, I would kick out the bedroom closet into the carport area, assuming the concrete slab is all one pour the change wouldn't cost much more.    That change would allow a door way into the bath from the bedroom, could be a pocket door to utilize wall space on that side, it also eliminates the corner wall as you enter the bedroom which gives better flow. 

Thanks but that would spoil the square shape of the house and leave only 10' for a car. And I actually want the bathroom access to be from the main living area so the house could be used a vacation house given a futon or fold-out sofa bed in the LR. At least you can't see the toilet from the DR....LOL. BR door access seems fine. That little jog adds wall-space and provides a bit of privacy. BTW, did you notice that all the plumbing is centralized? No worries about ever having to dig up the slab.

Posted by Tom Emerson at September 25. 2007

Actually, your sink and dishwasher are not on your wet wall. You could flip the kitchen counters to get them all grouped and vent your cook top directly out the side wall. That is unless you're hung up on seeing out from the kitchen sink - something I don't worry about because I think the interior view is more important. You might also want to place a window in the dining area to allow light to enter from all three sides of your main room. My biggest concern is the doors, however. Do you expect that visitors are going to come to the sliders in the main room? That may be a privacy issue. A galley is going to get crowded if it is to act as a main entrance. I do like the rigor, has a Hollin Hills feel to it.