Personal tools
Sections

Help on building with SIPS info

by Samantha Hill last modified May 21, 2008 11:29 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Help on building with SIPS info

Posted by Samantha Hill at February 06. 2008

I am currently undertaking a thesis on SIPS as an alternative building material in Scotland (where im from) as it is not a widely known material over here yet.

I was wondering if anybody who has either built with SIPS or is an architect/contractor who designs and builds with SIPS would be willing to help me with some questions?

If possible does anybody who has built with SIPS have photographic progress of their building which they would not mind me using in my thesis as an example?(acknowledgements would ofcource be made) 

Thank you so much for any response.

Samantha

Re: Help on building with SIPS info

Posted by Peter Smith at March 02. 2008

Samantha, I currently at the end of the design phase of a house that will use SIPS from Premier Building Systems, which my builder had used before.

See http://www.pbssips.com/ and check the article they link to in Fine Homebuilding mag

I am reluctant to volunteer my busy builder's contact info but will gladly any q's I an, nbsed on the evaluation/decision process we went through.

Previously Samantha Hill wrote:

I am currently undertaking a thesis on SIPS as an alternative building material in Scotland (where im from) as it is not a widely known material over here yet.

I was wondering if anybody who has either built with SIPS or is an architect/contractor who designs and builds with SIPS would be willing to help me with some questions?

If possible does anybody who has built with SIPS have photographic progress of their building which they would not mind me using in my thesis as an example?(acknowledgements would ofcource be made) 

Samantha

Posted by Copeland at March 06. 2008
We're also using SIPs and love 'em: www.GreenModernKits.com If you have any specific questions, ask away!

Posted by jonathan delcambre at March 07. 2008
I have just finished my second SIPs home. The latest issue of Atomic Ranch has an article on both of them. Or you can check out the two blogs I have done on LiveModern regarding 468 easton and kessler woods lot 14. http://www.atomic-ranch.com/current17.html

Posted by Heather Johnston at March 29. 2008

Previously Samantha Hill wrote:

Samantha

Hi Samantha,

We've been building with SIPs for several years and have completed a variety of projects with them.   We have used SIPs for roofs only, on otherwise stick framed houses; for second story additions (it was an adventure getting that through the building department!) and for whole houses.  Take a look at www.placehouses.com for the one we currently have under construction.  We have lots of photos, so let me know what would be helpful and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck with your project!

Heather Johnston

PLACE architects, PLACE houses, Seattle WA

www.placearchitects.com and www.placehouses.com

Posted by Peter Morgan at May 21. 2008

Hi Samantha

I am also doing  research for a thesis on SIP's whilst at the Center for Alternative Technology in wales. would you be intrested in comparing notes as im am sure that we are loooking at this from two different angles and could be benifical to each other.

if you want to email me my email address is cornishpete@hotmail.com

hope to hear from you soon

pete