Personal tools
Sections

Fencing ideas for a modern cottage

by David Reich last modified Nov 14, 2011 11:53 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Fencing ideas for a modern cottage

Posted by David Reich at May 11. 2007

I am soliciting ideas for perimeter fencing from the LiveModern crowd. I am getting much closer to building our modern beach cottage which will incorpoate a small pool and thus require a fence. I have a post already listed on this forum (Casa de Maraposa) which shows plans for the house or you can go to www.beachinmod.blogspot.com to see the plans. I have run only across one good idea for fencing at Hive Modular's site that apprears to have been designed by rosenlof/lucas www.ro-lu.com This is a really cool design using fir framing and translucent FRP panels on the exterior. I welcome other ideas if you have some that are a simple and affordable approach and lend to the asthetics and environment.  There are code restrictions to the opening and  the orienation of the exterior components that prohibit from climbing the fence. There has to be some good ideas out there. Thanks.

Re: Fencing ideas for a modern cottage

Posted by Connie at May 13. 2007

Here are two links to another forum (I hope that's allowed?) where fencing is a frequent topic:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9240 - this is probably close to what you think about?

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9335 - some very cool wood fences.

Posted by rolu dsgn at May 14. 2007

Hey David,

I was one of the designers of the fence you referenced above at www.ro-lu.com. Glad you like it. Drop me a line if you want to talk. I really like the structure you're building. Very cool. I'd love to know more about your project.

Thanks,

Matt

Posted by David Reich at May 14. 2007

Matt - Thanks for identifying yourself and I am a big fan of the work done at the Hive house and others on your site by you guys. The project is coming along - ever slowly - since we are going at this differently than the traditional building methods on the Gulf Coast. We are using Enerloc's building panels for the envelope and are awaiting their drafting and engineering data now. Should have it this week. The lot is small 50x65 and we are wanting to create an environment - not just a house on a lot. That being said we have a very agressive price point we are trying to meet for the complete scope. So far we seem to be on track. I knocked around the idea of the gabion fence that you guys did at the Hive house (even filling it with oyster shells) but I am hesitant based on the seemingly higher cost and therefore like the FRP and frammed approach for the economies and "cool" factor. The links listed above also showed some great looking polycarb and steel fences that I will definitely use for future ideas. We are keeping the landscpaing simple - all disiduous - low water / salt tolerant - no lawn. I have attached a photo of the lot. Would love to keep the line open here. Thanks.

Attachments

Posted by rolu dsgn at May 25. 2007

Hi David,

Sorry it took me so long to write back. As you can probably guess, being a landscape guy in Minnesota means a pretty busy spring.

The lot looks like the perfect blank slate. I wish I had the time to read your blog I'm excited to watch your progress. The homes in the background have a similar feel to the homes around the Hive that has the gabion fence.

I thought I'd post a link to a short video with some more shots of the fence and home. My design partner and I like to make short documentaries about things and our projects for learning and educational-exploration reasons. This one served as an invite to an open house we had at the Hive Modular last fall. Thought you might dig it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5656894474334374223&pr=goog-sl

I also thought the fences in the other links were very cool. We're working on some fence heavy designs right now. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Oyster shells huh? That could be really cool and an awful lot lighter than the granite we used.

Matt Olson

www.ro-lu.com

http://rolu.terapad.com  <--blog

Previously David Reich wrote:

Matt - Thanks for identifying yourself and I am a big fan of the work done at the Hive house and others on your site by you guys. The project is coming along - ever slowly - since we are going at this differently than the traditional building methods on the Gulf Coast. We are using Enerloc's building panels for the envelope and are awaiting their drafting and engineering data now. Should have it this week. The lot is small 50x65 and we are wanting to create an environment - not just a house on a lot. That being said we have a very agressive price point we are trying to meet for the complete scope. So far we seem to be on track. I knocked around the idea of the gabion fence that you guys did at the Hive house (even filling it with oyster shells) but I am hesitant based on the seemingly higher cost and therefore like the FRP and frammed approach for the economies and "cool" factor. The links listed above also showed some great looking polycarb and steel fences that I will definitely use for future ideas. We are keeping the landscpaing simple - all disiduous - low water / salt tolerant - no lawn. I have attached a photo of the lot. Would love to keep the line open here. Thanks.