Personal tools
Sections

Corrugated metal siding

by Jill Hayes last modified Jun 29, 2011 09:45 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Corrugated metal siding

Posted by Jill Hayes at October 28. 2009

Hi, I really hope someone here can give me some info.

My husband and I are building a house and are wanting to  DIY some corrugated metal on a portion of the exterior. Seems simple, but surely it's not as easy as I'm thinking. So my questions are, Do we just install it directly over the housewrap? What do we do about the seams, other than overlap them? We will be installing it horizontally, so those seams should be ok overlapped by a few inches, but what about any vertical seams?

Those of you that have done it before, how is it holding up over time? What gauge did you use? Galvanized or galvalume?

We just got a quote on having hardi panel professionally installed and judging by that ASTRONOMICAL figure, we might be doing more and more metal...so any info is greatly appreciated.

Jill Hayes

Re: Corrugated metal siding

Posted by brano rataj at October 29. 2009

i would install over verticals, leaving air gap between your structure and siding. just overlap vertical seams by couple inches and you should be fine. use screws with rubber gaskets. i installed half of rainscreen on my house by my self. it is nothing difficult. and believe me or not i did better job than professional installer. they just try to finish job as soon as possible and dont really pay attention to details.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at October 30. 2009

If you are going over a house wrap you treat it much like the cement siding, meaning you want a tight water proof surface. Vertical joints need to be lapped as well as your horizontal joints. A bead of sealant in the lap, and hex head screws with neoprene gaskets are typical for metal siding installs. You need base flashing at the bottom lapped behind the house wrap to direct any water that finds its way in back outside. Trim pieces at corners and window/door openings are necessary to properly terminate siding and flash above. Foam profile fillers are usually available which gives you a "block" to close off the corrugations and seal ends tight, then covered by a trim piece. Metal siding manufacturers typically publish pages of details showing you how to detail all the end and joint conditions.

If you want to make a rain screen you need something more sophisticated than house wrap behind it. House wrap is meant to stop drafts, and allow moisture vapor to pass through - it is not a primary water barrier. A rain screen needs a specialized membrane that sheds water and passes vapor.

Posted by brano rataj at October 30. 2009

you  need special house wrap for rain screen only if you are doing open joints. we used vaproshield on our house. actually i am not aware of any other similar membrane available in usa

Posted by Rousella Wright at September 08. 2010
I have just recently replaced my siding, however, the contractor that did it was terrible. I think they have installed it incorrectly.
So now I really need some help for my siding repair. Could you give me some advice or recommend someone please?
I did saw this video, really some useful ideas about siding repair @  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xeh5gb_siding-repair-katy-8665935222_people
However, I really cannot afford to make another mistake so I really like to get more details on this before deciding what to do.
Thanks for the help in advance! =)

Posted by Matt Kent at June 23. 2011

I reckon galvanized would be a better choice since it’s more light weight which is easy for DIY-ing on your own.  Plus it is also corrosion resistant.

Posted by Greg Smith at June 29. 2011

This is fabulous look for both interior and exterior. In my view ensure you insulate and you may need to decide on a trim to finish the entire look. Ensure you have completed the wiring for the outdoor lighting too! It will look great!

Greg

http://www.litecraft.co.uk