Personal tools
Sections

Can anyone here design a narrow modern/ultramodern home?

by Stephanie Neroes last modified Jan 28, 2010 05:43 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Can anyone here design a narrow modern/ultramodern home?

Posted by Stephanie Neroes at September 14. 2009

Hi,

I came across this website via Google and was wondering if anyone here could design a home for me based in Signal Hill, CA with a lot size of 10x90? It was suggested that the bottom floor consist of a two car garage, one on either side facing outward leaving room in between the walls for a room such as a gym, game room, office..whatever and then build the actual living areas on top.  The height maximum is 25 ft.  Do you think building a 2/3 bedroom 2/3 bath home with a den and theater room is possible on such a small lot?

Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated!  As well as ideas of how much the design it self would cost and approximate overall costs if you don't mind and have an idea.

Is there a website where architects and/or construction companies bid for your business?

Thanks

Re: Can anyone here design a narrow modern/ultramodern home?

Posted by richierod at September 15. 2009

Wow, that IS a small lot! There are plenty of architects here who will jump at the challenge, I'm sure. Out of curiosity, do you know what the setback requirements are?

-R.

Posted by Stephanie Neroes at September 15. 2009

Hi,

The lot size of 10x90 includes the setbacks.  The size before setbacks is 25x110.

Posted by John Bertram at September 29. 2009

Stephanie:

I'd be happy to talk to you about this. We are an architecture firm in Los Angeles specializing in modern homes.

Please take a look at our website:

www.bertramarchitects.com

John Bertram

Previously Stephanie Neroes wrote:

Hi,

I came across this website via Google and was wondering if anyone here could design a home for me based in Signal Hill, CA with a lot size of 10x90? It was suggested that the bottom floor consist of a two car garage, one on either side facing outward leaving room in between the walls for a room such as a gym, game room, office..whatever and then build the actual living areas on top.  The height maximum is 25 ft.  Do you think building a 2/3 bedroom 2/3 bath home with a den and theater room is possible on such a small lot?

Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated!  As well as ideas of how much the design it self would cost and approximate overall costs if you don't mind and have an idea.

Is there a website where architects and/or construction companies bid for your business?

Thanks

Posted by Darin Dougherty at September 29. 2009

Stephanie,

Sounds like a wonderful challenge!  We'd love to chat with you more.  We're located in Portland Oregon and bring a 'sustainable' angle to conceptual design.  You can find us at our Web link below, or search for us on Facebook or Twitter @seedarch:

www.seed-architecture.com

www.sipshousepdx.com

www.modernhillhouse.com

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at September 29. 2009

Just curious, do you need to have garage space for two cars?

And, will they allow the secod floor to cantilever out over the building line 1'-2'? That would change this from perpetually experienceing life in a very narrow house to a house that is narrow, but feels like a regular house from most places in the house. 

Posted by Don Whitten at October 05. 2009

I once contemplated an 8' wide dwelling unit.  See attached sketches.  I'd welcome the opportunity to go 2' wider.

www.contextmodern.com

Posted by Don Whitten at October 09. 2009

Previously Don Whitten wrote:

I once contemplated an 8' wide dwelling unit.  See attached sketches.  I'd welcome the opportunity to go 2' wider.

www.contextmodern.com

Attachment

Attachments

Posted by ralph kuddler at October 20. 2009

If you are looking for a modern kitchen to match your new custom home, def. check out this site Mrs. Neroes

http://www.allmilmous.com

I just recently bought a kitchen here, and if your looking for superb quality for your bathroom or kitchens, that is the place to go.