Personal tools
Sections

New Modern Steel-SIP Home in Austin

by paul schuster last modified Dec 14, 2006 06:59 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

New Modern Steel-SIP Home in Austin

Posted by paul schuster at November 30. 2006

Our dream home is wonderfully designed by architect Mark Meyer (eamesdaedelus).  It’s a beautiful, functional, sensible, and modern design with lots of energy-efficient and environmental friendly materials.  The house is in West Lake Hills, about 0.1 mile to Eanes Elementary School (awarded a US Blue Ribbon last year) and a few miles to UT and downtown Austin.  The HVAC space is about 2800 sq.ft.  We started the building process earlier this year, hired a five-star Green Builder in June, and are about ready for the framing inspection in early December. Highlights of the new home so far include concrete floor with embedded recycled glass chips (we considered many options, including staining the concrete ourselves), structural steel framing (the structural steel framing crew did a great job), a newly designed structural insulated panel (SIP) wall system (the first design production from a brand new factory), a SIP roofing system, a tall tower, a pitched roof, a huge cantilever section over the first floor screen room and carport (the bank refused a draw request because they said walls were missing on the first floor, but that’s another story), engineered subflooring, and decking made of recycled materials. Another interesting aspect of our project is the septic system. It is HUGE. Our septic engineer Kevin Dunne is known for his “solid” design.  We are documenting the build here: blog.austinmodhouse.com.

Re: New Modern Steel-SIP Home in Austin

Posted by Marshall Mayer at December 01. 2006

Paul,

What a great design and process. Fast! Thanks for the blog link, and hopefully your progress will be updated here as you move into your new home.

Marshall

Posted by Ben Leeming at December 11. 2006

Previously paul schuster wrote:

Our dream home is wonderfully designed by architect Mark Meyer (eamesdaedelus).  It’s a beautiful, functional, sensible, and modern design with lots of energy-efficient and environmental friendly materials.  The house is in West Lake Hills, about 0.1 mile to Eanes Elementary School (awarded a US Blue Ribbon last year) and a few miles to UT and downtown Austin.  The HVAC space is about 2800 sq.ft.  We started the building process earlier this year, hired a five-star Green Builder in June, and are about ready for the framing inspection in early December. Highlights of the new home so far include concrete floor with embedded recycled glass chips (we considered many options, including staining the concrete ourselves), structural steel framing (the structural steel framing crew did a great job), a newly designed structural insulated panel (SIP) wall system (the first design production from a brand new factory), a SIP roofing system, a tall tower, a pitched roof, a huge cantilever section over the first floor screen room and carport (the bank refused a draw request because they said walls were missing on the first floor, but that’s another story), engineered subflooring, and decking made of recycled materials. Another interesting aspect of our project is the septic system. It is HUGE. Our septic engineer Kevin Dunne is known for his “solid” design.  We are documenting the build here: blog.austinmodhouse.com.

Paul, your project is very exciting. I will definitely check back in from time to time. By the way, I noticed that you are using MDO as exterior siding. We, too, are considering MDO for the exterior of our Mod Barn project (see the posting in "We're building a new modern home" Forum or barehillbarn.blogspot.com). What can you tell me about finishing it? How will it be weatherproofed - just paint? How about the seams, how will the panels be joined? And the edges? Also, is there a place on your blog where you have posted schematics/elevations, etc? Love to see what the architect envisions. Good luck! Ben

Paul, your project is very exciting. I will definitely check back in from time to time. By the way, I noticed that you are using MDO as exterior siding. We, too, are considering MDO for the exterior of our Mod Barn project (see the posting in "We're building a new modern home" Forum). What can you tell me about finishing it? How will it be weatherproofed - just paint? How about the seams, how will the panels be joined? And the edges? Also, is there a place on your blog where you have posted schematics/elevations, etc? Love to see what the architect envisions. Good luck! Ben

Posted by paul schuster at December 14. 2006
Ben,

we do not have elevations or floorplans posted.  there was a hint at things to come at austinmodhouse.com where I had a small distorted picture of a model that was made early on in the design phase.  but now the pics of the real thing sort of make that modle obsolete. 

we didn't spend time and $ in a bunch of 3d renderings with various color schemes etc.  but we've been very happy with mark's design.

I have no strong opinions on the MDO as of yet.  Mark chose this and it was on site before we even had a chance to do some online searches.  we'd never eve heard of it before.  it was either MDO or hardi and this ended up being a/b the same or a slight bit less.  when I did spend some time searching I found confusing info where some sites said it must be primed and painted.  mark had intended for it to go up w/o paint.  we were not too crazy about the color (craft paper or brown paper baggish) and had pledged to paint it at some later date.  but we also planned to do exposed fasteners and that would make priming and painting later a huge pain. 

so it's now mostly all painted and primed.  I think there will be some flashing that will go between each run and not sure how they are sealing the vertical seams, mabye caulk?  this is all part of an ongoing discussion that never seems to be resolved.

I myself am anxious to see how it turns out.