Personal tools

looking for modernist designs

by Rachel Kane last modified Jan 22, 2006 04:54 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

looking for modernist designs

Posted by Rachel Kane at June 23. 2005

Hello, New England! I'm looking for cool modernist residences in the Boston area. I want to see them on site to get a feel for how they fit in with the New England topography. Any recommendations? Preference for Boston metro, but if there's a spectacular example in outlying areas, please let me know. Also looking for some names of modernist architects who are interested in working with people who don't have unlimited budgets.

Re: looking for modernist designs

Posted by Paul K. Courtney at June 26. 2005

I live in the Upper Valley area in Lebanon, NH. I realize that this is really outlying, but my wife and I just purchased a mid-century modern house up here. Not too many of us, that's for sure. There are some contemporary designs in the Upper Valley (including Norwich, VT and Hanover, NH, both around Dartmouth College), but not much in the way of current modern. I've just started to post some pictures on my page(s) here if you're interested.

Posted by Ryan Williams at June 30. 2005

I passed by a place under construction recently on Gore Street in Belmont, MA overlooking Fresh Pond and the Fresh Pond Golf Course. (google Gore Street, Belmont, MA for a map) I don't have a picture but if I pass by again I will get one and post it. It is (i believe) a cedar and copper clad house)
There is also the condo design by Single Speed Design in Cambridgeport. That has been published in Dwell. [url href= ] [/url]
Both are great examples of modern design in a not so modern neighborhood.

Happy hunting.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at June 30. 2005

I understand that Lincoln Mass. is a hotbed for modern houses from post war. May of the european modernists that fled WWII ended up at MIT and Harvard and built houses for themselves in Lincoln.

Posted by Zachary Anderson at June 30. 2005

see this:

it might still be there?? last i checked, no one had taken it (that was after seeing a little article in metropolis magazine on this house).

i still have copies of all the magazine articles on these houses, if anyone wants them (they aren't online right now, though)

Posted by Debra Booth at August 04. 2005

Lincoln, Mass does have quite a few modernist designs. Walter Gropius built a house for himself there in 1938. It's now owned by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities. Nice House--here's a link:

I've added a picture--we'll see if it shows up

Posted by Debra Booth at January 22. 2006

Does anyone have experience with good contractors west of Boston?