Sections

Prefab in a Mobile Home Park?

by mimi toux last modified Oct 07, 2005 02:52 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Prefab in a Mobile Home Park?

Posted by mimi toux at September 01. 2005

New Member here --

My husband and I just inherited a circa-1964 mobile home (badly in need of replacement) in a rent-controlled mobile home park in Santa Cruz. I loathe the new manufactured homes with their resin faux-wood-look siding, etc. Is it possible to put a prefab/modular in a mobile home park? I'm worried about the foundation requirements and HUD codes.

Thanks for any help --

mimitoux

p.s. I cross-posted this in the Sacaramento/Central Valley forum as well.

Re: Prefab in a Mobile Home Park?

Posted by Marshall Mayer at September 01. 2005
mimitoux,

I think the answer to your question will lie on one or more places:

1. If you own the land that the trailer is sitting on, there may be some Conditions, covenants, and Restrictions (CCRs) that stipulate what can and cannot be built on the lot. If you don't own the lot, then all you need to do is check with the owner.

2. If you own the lot, you'll also have to check with the zoning department. Some mobile home parks are zoned for HUD/mobile homes only (it's a trade for being zoned out of the rest of the county).

3. If it's still possible after these first two, you'll have to pass muster in whatever you do with the building department. I would not mention the word "prefab" at all, as this will likely start your conversation on the wrong foot (they will immediately think mobile home, and you want to do something different).

Anywhere, that's where I'd start. Others may have direct experience.

Marshall

P.S. Generally you don't need to cross-post on LiveModern.

Posted by mimi toux at September 01. 2005

In fact, neither option applies. In this particular park one merely owns the rights to rent the lot. In a similar park one town over, the same situation applies PLUS one cannot bring in an aluminum-sided home. Supposedly this is to maintain a look of upscale-ness but it's my firm belief that it's a way for the manufactured homes industry to monopolize the market with their resin faux-wood-siding homes. And since the owner/president of one of the major manufactured home companies lives in this park, I somehow think the possibility of my being able to bring in, say, a Glidehouse is about nil. Especially if I start asking questions about what is acceptable and what is not. As it is we live on the east coast and would only use it as a vacation spot, which is slightly frowned upon.

I think there may be a market for true mobile homes, new, in the mid-century style. Does anyone know of such a company?

mimitoux

Posted by Kirk Washburn at September 01. 2005

The other day at home depot (in Louisville, co) I saw this cool looking modern building going up in the parking lot. I walked over and talked to one of the guys building it. He said it was a solar mobile home. Sure enough, I walked around to the other side of the structure, and there was a huge bank of solar panels. In addition there was a sign proclaiming that this mobile home was being built using SIPs. I have no idea what the plan was for that mobile home, or if they are building them in other home depot locations. I found this link to something similar, althought this does not look exactly like what I saw at home depot:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/08/minihouse_eco_m.php

Posted by Marshall Mayer at September 02. 2005

[quote:mimitoux format=text/plain]I think there may be a market for true mobile homes, new, in the mid-century style. Does anyone know of such a company?[/quote]

The fact of the matter is that many mobile home manufacturers are converting to modular home factories. It seems that mobile homes are very hard to finance and insure, regardless of where they are located. They are not considered real estate, but personal property, even when they are set on a foundation.

Marshall

Posted by Kirk Washburn at October 07. 2005

I found the web site for the solar mobile home. Check it out:

http://solar.colorado.edu/design/index.shtml

_kirk