Personal tools

Considering Building in the Bay Area

by Victor G last modified Sep 14, 2005 03:57 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Considering Building in the Bay Area

Posted by Victor G at November 22. 2004

I’m newly relocated to San Rafael and am seriously considering a LV Home (or now the LVL) as a great alternative to the traditional custom built home. Has anyone finished a project in the North Bay yet? I’m interested in hearing the pros and cons of pre-fabricated versus traditional custom in the bay area.

Also, I’d like to know who’s lending on Pre-fab (the Washington Mutual guy will not call me back).

Re: Considering Building in the Bay Area

Posted by Fil & Gina at November 27. 2004

Hi and welcome to the area! There's a bunch of parameters that you need to consider. First, I'd recommend you to call or visit the county's building dept. and see if the LV home is allowed to be built there. 2nd, keep in mind that some neighborhoods have strict design rules that you must adhere to; the LV home might not have the characteristics needed for some areas so keep that in mind when you look for land.
I dunno of any LV homes but do know that the Glidehouse is popular in the Bay Area, check with Marshall Mayer if he has some experiences in the North Bay.
Prefab surely is a fantastic alternative, especially price wise, in comparison to custom built. Pls be aware though that price of land and site work will be the major cost in such project. There was a great blog from Jennie Kessinger on this whole topic (including lending) as they were planning a glidehouse in the Bay Area (try this link:
All the best!

Posted by Greg Klosowski at January 21. 2005

If you start looking into pre-fab and it becomes difficult, due to lending issues or design review issues (which the north-bay can be notorious for...), you might consider something half-way between pre-fab and traditional.

Our office (I'm an Oakland based Architect) has done several projects that use modular framing concepts, smart structural layouts, steps to minimize foundation impacts, as well as green materials, to help reduce the costs of home building....while keeping the strong advantages of a more traditional approach, such as site specificity, solar orientation, capturing views, dealing with terrain, etc.

If you'd like - have a look at my website ( - and feel free to email me if you want some additional of luck!

Posted by Carol Hackett at April 27. 2005

We are possibly looking at building the LVL home somewhere in Marin as well, but unfortunately haven't got far enough into the process to offer you any insight. I'd be interested in what you find out, though.

Posted by Judy Worth at September 14. 2005

I just secured 1.28 acres along the sonoma coastline and am currently awaiting to hear from MKD re:building a breezehouse.......I looked in San Rafael, Novato, and frankly all over the place but wanted to be as close to the ocean as with a little research (actually a lot of MLS research) I found a perfect spot and closed within a day or two........ So land is out there depending on what you want to spend, and where you want to be.....

If you need the name of a good real estate agent let me know.......... also, contact Andrew Reid's office @ Countrywide (425-803-4712) as he does loans for pre-fabs...he was recommended by MKD.... Tell em' Judy F. recommended you !