Personal tools

How to Find Land!!!

by Sarah Boss last modified Sep 14, 2005 03:50 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

How to Find Land!!!

Posted by Sarah Boss at January 22. 2005

Hi, we are new to the area (currently living in Davis, CA) and are looking for land to build our modern home. Anything between Davis and the Bay area and/or a nice spot in Oakland. Does anyone have any contacts that would help get us going. So far, our search has been pretty fruitless.

Re: How to Find Land!!!

Posted by woody at January 27. 2005

see my post re: buyin land together. I think our best bet as wanting to build modern homes in the bay area is to buy a large lot together and building mulitple homes on it, sort of a modern community.
there are very few good small/single home lots available

Posted by Greg Klosowski at February 03. 2005

Have you looked into any hillside lots in Oakland and Montclair? I know there are a few lots available on some...well, challenging lots...but the lower land cost usually reflects an offset that would help mitigate the added cost of the additional foundation work.

Any reputable agent in the area should have access to some lots - but you can also feel free to contact me if you cannot find anyone and I can check with my contacts.

Incidentially, Oakland is a great area to build in - as the planning and building departments are a pleasure to work with - and there are still comparatively undiscovered pockets.

Feel free to have a look at my website ( specifically, my contact page if you want some assistance with Oakland - - we do have experience and great interest in hillside homes, so I hope you will consider us when your land search narrows.

Best of luck - - Gregory Klosowski AIA, owner of ellipsis a+d

Posted by Elna Tymes at May 10. 2005

There are tons of vacant lots in the Bay Area. Many of them are flat and highly buildable, some have problems and some of those problems can be big or small. For instance, I know of 13 different vacant or nearly vacant lots in the Willow Glen area of San Jose that could handle a modernist design such as a Glidehouse. In the Martha Gardens area directly south of San Jose there are over 20 vacant lots; the problem there is the neighborhood association's design criteria, which the San Jose Planning Dept. pays attention to; those folks say they prefer Victorians or work/live loft spaces.

How to find them? Drive around and look. We do that every week. You can also ask a realtor to help you - after all, finding property for a buyer is what they get paid for. Your average house-seller realtor will probably not pay attention to vacant lots, but usually there's someone in an office who can help you.

None of these lots is cheap, however. But don't let the asking price turn you away - price is always a negotiable item.

We've been working with one owner of a vacant lot in Mt View, and it now looks like we're about to start the permit process to build two Glidehouses. It's a development/investment for us, but if the comps are right, we'll make a nice profit.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Posted by Marshall Mayer at May 10. 2005

I'm not a realtor, but if I were I'd seriously look at serving the market for new home construction. As marketing and sales agent for the Glidehouse (after the land is secured), I can tell you that our single greatest demand from prospective customers is for someone that can help them find land. If you specialize in these lots, you have a "land office" business. Ok, that's a bit hyperbolic. But let's talk!

Posted by Judy Worth at September 14. 2005

after some serious research online (mls listings) I was able to secure 1.28acres along the sonoma coastline for I know there's plenty out there in the bay area ... It just takes some time to find the right spot to put one of MKD's beautiful homes on !

let me know if you need the name of a good real estate agent as the one I used, know her stuff !