Personal tools
Sections

Do you want to join forces buying land? Let's build our own community

by woody last modified Dec 17, 2006 08:50 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Do you want to join forces buying land? Let's build our own community

Posted by woody at January 24. 2005

I have always wanted to recreate the type of neighborhoods that Eichler created in the Bay Area. Modern, affordable homes that have a tremendous amount of style and provide a unique sense of community to the owners as part of something special.

There are a few large pieces of land available in the east bay at very decent prices. I would love to meet a few other people interested in building modern housing, buy the land together, section it off to ourselves and build our homes.

For example, according to the MLS, there are 15 acres available in Castro Valley right now for $575,000. I am a little suspect of that price for that much land, but assuming that's correct, even if we can only build 5 homes due to slope and other environmental issues, that is only $115,000 per person for the land which is a steal in this area.

Let's discuss possibilities. I'm sure we would find deals with contractors and lending establishments as well taking all of our business to the same providers.

Re: Do you want to join forces buying land? Let's build our own community

Posted by Ladonna Batterson at January 31. 2005

Definitely would like to talk with you. We have been looking for property in the Bay Area to provide lower cost housing also. Please drop me a line at: randybatterson@yahoo.com

Thanks

Randy

Posted by Sarah Boss at February 03. 2005

I would love to discuss this possibility more. Have you gotten any farther with the idea? My contact info is sarahboss@graffiti.net.

Posted by Mathew at February 15. 2005

As a fellow frustrated modernist looking to build, I would be interested in talking this idea out with the group: mattiff@yahoo.com

Posted by Kevin Dickson at February 15. 2005

The idea I'm pursuing has the benefits of a community, but it's easier to pull off in a great location.

A very common phenomenon in cities is the postwar neighborhood where the housing stock is beat up and prices are low. It can be literally adjacent to nicer and/or redeveloping neighborhoods. It eventually will redevelop, but everyone's scared to invest because the appraisals are too low and the place just feels seedy.

Well, if a developer or a consortium of modernists buys up enough scrapers, they can singlehandedly turn the neighborhood around. There are at least ten areas in Denver like this that are also walking distance to the newly approved mass transit system.

As my banker says, I like it! No tap fees!

Posted by f1rstborn at March 07. 2005

i would love to hear what comes out of this. post any progress here. thanks.

Posted by Kelly Campbell at March 09. 2005

I would be interested in building a modernist community in the East Bay - please contact me - campkel@earthlink.net

Posted by sfZOO at March 25. 2005

Is there an update? If so, please update me.

email: thesfzoo@gmail.com

Posted by sandy handler at April 17. 2005

Am very interested as well. Just selling our house now in the Berkeley Hills and looking to build.

email: sandyhandler@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Posted by Lisa Clayton at May 04. 2005

I'd be interested in looking into this, too. I've been looking at Oakland land-- it's definitely less expensive than Peninsula land.

Has anyone been poking around MLS land listings here in the BA? We could start looking based on:

-- how much acreage we'd want collectively
-- how much money we could pool for a downpayment

From there we can talk realtors, lawyers (yeah, alas), building types, whether we want common land, etc. This could be fun.

Posted by Pete McCarthy at May 28. 2005

I would be very interested to hear from you. Send me an email at petemccarthy@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Posted by Jing Jiang at May 31. 2005

Me and my boyfriend has been looking for buying land also! Please contact me at jjiang2@msn.com

Posted by Chris Hanke at June 01. 2005

I looked at the location of this property on a map, and it looks to be in the agricultural/open space area, which means sub-division of this land is probably not feasible or allowable. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but after looking around for lots in the Bay Area, I'm a realist.

I saw a small lot for $575,000 in a mixed Redwood City neighborhood, surronded by marginal apartment buildings and 2/1 cottages, it's hard to believe they could get that. I also looked at $350,000 lot in San Carlos, which is steeper than anything I've ever skied!

Anyway, I'd certainly be up for discussions on joint purchases of land.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted by Edna Moran at June 29. 2005

Hi!

I'm very interested in collaboratively purchasing land. I live in Alameda but haven't come across any potential lots. Would like to know if anyone is organizing an effort in the East Bay or along the coast. If so, please contact me at ecmARTS@earthlink.net.

Thanks,
Edna

Posted by Sharma Hendel at August 17. 2005

Add me to the list! I've searched far and wide for land that is the right shape and size to build my dream home. add me to your list (if you're keeping one) skhendel@gmail.com

Add me..

Posted by Zack Bethem at June 04. 2006

Add me to the list if it's still active.. I see that the last post was Aug '05. Just starting my search, but a pocket of modern homes seems like the best bet in this $$ world.

zbethem@yahoo.com

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at June 04. 2006

Whenever this topic comes back to the top it makes me think of The Nest Project: http://www.thenestproject.com/welcome.html

This is an initiative started by people just like you who want an alternative to the status quo.

We're interested....

Posted by mjfree at August 01. 2006

let us know what the current status is!

jmsanfran@gmail.com

Posted by Eric Forsman at October 02. 2006

I'm very interested in something like this for the East Bay, Oakland or somwhere north of Oakland. I'm a new arrival to the Bay Area, and have not yet begun in earnest to look for that unbuildable lot. Any advice is welcome.

eric at
alumni dot amherst dot edu

Posted by Karen Theisen at October 27. 2006

I live in the Santa Cruz area and am interested in finding other green-minded, pre-fabers (GMPFs?) who would like to purchase land together and build a community. Even if it's just a community of two parties, that's okay. But more than that is fine too!

Let me know if you are interested or if you know someone who is.

karen.theisen@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

Karen

Posted by Chuck Post at November 06. 2006

Anyone thought about the North Bay? I live in Sonoma, where I build modern spec houses. I am also a realtor and have acess to MLS. I know of 4 lots for $225,000 each that have killer views and are in an area where others are building modern houses -- I'm building a modern spec project right down the street. Chuck@Chuckpost.com

Posted by Christina Chan at December 17. 2006
I'm wondering what ever became of this post. I realize it was nearly a year ago that the thread was started. I'm moving back to the Bay Area soon and would love to be a part of your list if you have decided to go forward/have any openings. Please email me at winun@yahoo.com Best, Christina C.

Re: We're interested....

Posted by Jermaine Greene at December 17. 2006

Previously Mike & Juliette Freestone wrote:

let us know what the current status is!

jmsanfran@gmail.com

I must admit, I find the lack of any kind of update from the original posters dissappointing, to say the least.