Personal tools

Labor estimate for bathroom remodel

by jaybee last modified Mar 25, 2014 01:38 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 4 votes)

Labor estimate for bathroom remodel

Posted by jaybee at September 08. 2007
I was speaking with a bath designer yesterday and for my little 6' x 8' bath, she said to expect labor alone to cost $15,000. I'm planning simply to replace all existing fixtures and tiles. No major moving around of pipes or walls, etc. The labor cost seems high to me. Any ideas out there on what I should expect? Thanks for your help!

Re: Labor estimate for bathroom remodel

Posted by Wil Leggett at October 02. 2007
In the Bay Area, the multiplier I use to begin discussing kitchen and bath remodels is $450 per square foot. That makes materials and labor for your space around $22,000. Using your bath designer's estimate of $15,000 for labor you are left with $7,000 for materials. That could be a fairly high end bathroom if you made judicious choices. I am a designer and I am currently working on my own guest bathroom which is slightly smaller than yours. It has a sink, toilet, and tiled shower stall. The plan is to completely re-tile the floor and shower, replace plumbing fixtures and lighting, and paint. I expect the project to cost around $9,000 to $10,000 dollars total. Keeping in mind that as an industry professional I have resources that the average person would not, I still think you could accomplish a modest remodel of your space for less that $15,000 total. If you are interested, I would be happy to discuss this with you. Best of luck!

Posted by Aaron Berlin at October 04. 2007

Do it yourself!  Anyone could teach themselves the skills needed to do a bathroom remodel.  Tear it down to the studs and get started!

If you have trouble along the way you can always hire someone to come in to set the new bathtub or topcoat your drywall.  The majority of the stuff is a piece of cake.  With the money you'll save buy a marble bath tub or a custom wenge floating vanity.

Back in the day I even went without a toilet for four days while I tiled the only bath in my tiny Chicago condo.  With enough guts you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to!

Quit surfing the web and start swinging your hammer!

Posted by Don Daniels at September 30. 2011

Aaron Berlin!

As a homeowner, I do know that bathroom remodels can be very complicated.
A professional needs to have certain skills in order to do the job properly, from start to finish.

Not everybody has the skills that are required...
Most people don't, unless they have been in the bathroom remodeling business, as there
are a high number of things (behind the scenes) that can only be accomplished by an experienced professional.

I am very handy around the house and do a lot of my basic projects myself.

I listened to you tell me, (on this forum), that I could remodel my own bathroom myself and I
went ahead and started...

Bad mistake on my part!

I soon realized that there are many factors involved that require an experienced professional, and
my basic knowledge of home repairs was only enough to get me into a big mess.

After screwing things up, I finaly got off of my high hourse and called some professional bathroom remodeling companies for help.

I got a few bids on the completion of the project and each one of them told me that it would cost me
significantly more money to do the job, because they would have to tare out many of my mistakes and start over,
with the whole project.

They were able to look at my bathroom, and assess it with an expert eye.

What I thought was looking like a good job, only through my eyes of inexperience, turned out
to be a disaster... (And yes, I am very handy around the house)

Too make a long story short... Listening to your advice several years ago ended up costing me bouble the cost I would
have paid, had I simply had the job done right, by an experienced professional, in the first place...

Thanks a lot for your crummy input, Aaron Berlin!!!
Why don't you just go away, and stay away!!!!

Posted by fabiha ahmed at March 19. 2012

i want know more about i have gone .they give me a estimation ,that is not matching with others

please tell me more about this