Personal tools
Sections

Austin Modernists Meetup Group

by Hayden last modified Aug 26, 2005 05:31 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Austin Modernists Meetup Group

Posted by Hayden at December 29. 2004

I have started a group on meetup.com for people interested in getting together. I still need to post a location for the first meetup, so please respond with suggestions. A modern space would be preferable. :)

http://architecture.meetup.com/72/

-Hayden

Re: Austin Modernists Meetup Group

Posted by Mark Meyer at December 29. 2004

Hayden,

Good work. Now if we can just get folks to respond...

The San Jose is the ideal place for the first meeting, especially if the weather is going to be this nice.

Mark

Posted by Hayden at December 29. 2004

I always forget that they have a place for the public to hang out and get drinks. Thanks! I will update the site.

Posted by Adam Rice at January 06. 2005

Argh. Wish it didn't have to be Saturday.

Posted by Victor at January 06. 2005

You can advertise at http://austin.craigslist.org/grp/.

Victor.

Posted by Hayden at January 07. 2005

[quote:adamrice format=text/plain]Argh. Wish it didn't have to be Saturday.[/quote]

It doesn't have to be. What days will work for everyone who wants to be involved? I am available on Friday-Sunday at the listed time slot. I have chosen the early to later evening based on the hours of the San Jose's courtyard lounge.

A side note: This meetup group is intended for anyone who wants to attend, meaning consumers and architects alike. The web page is a bit misleading because it is categorized under an architecture heading but I think that anyone with the slightest interest in the subject matter that a publication like Dwell magazine aims to address will get something out of it.

Posted by Hayden at January 07. 2005

[quote:solarpunk format=text/plain]

You can advertise at http://austin.craigslist.org/grp/.

Victor. [/quote]

Thanks for the tip Victor! It is posted there now.

Posted by tom mot at January 23. 2005

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this meeting. I've got to play rockstar that evening with one of my bands. Hopefully I won't miss out too much, but I'll definitely try to make the next one. Have fun!

- Derek

Posted by Mark Meyer at January 27. 2005
[quote:strain format="text/plain"]Unfortunately I won't be able to make this meeting. I've got to play rockstar that evening with one of my bands. Hopefully I won't miss out too much, but I'll definitely try to make the next one. Have fun!
- Derek[/quote]
Derek,

Which band(s) are you in? The meeting is early (7:30). Don't you want a quick drink before you don your rockstar persona? (or maybe after you don your rockstart persona depending...)

All other lurkers out there,

The 1st Austin Modernists meeting is on Saturday. Be there or be a pediment...

Mark

Posted by tom mot at January 28. 2005

A drink or two definitely helps facilitate the emergence of rockstar persona :) And normally I'd probably be able to swing 7:30 before a show, but this weekend we're playing earlier than usual, and right about the time you fine folks will be enjoying drinks and discussing modernist design, I'll be loading up the ol' van and heading to the club to play a show no one in the band feels like playing.

My bands are:

Sea of Thousand (loud, growly, metal stuff)
The Karaoke Apocalypse (80's punk/metal karaoke band)

But you never know, the club might want us to load in extra early, so maybe things will work out so I can make it for a drink or two. We'll see...

- Derek

Posted by tom mot at January 31. 2005

How did the meetup go? What did you guys discuss?

Posted by Mark Meyer at January 31. 2005

The meetup was a qualified success. There were four of us:
Hayden, Victor (solarpunk), KP, and myself. We discussed a lot of the projects we knew of, KP's house, designed by Cottam/Hargraves, my courtHOUSE design, the state of affairs in austin modernism, real estate and development, etc.

The next meeting has been moved to a friday to hopefully attract more folks and fit more schedules. Keep checking back in here for updates and info about upcoming meetings (and maybe parties?)

Mark

Posted by Mark Meyer at February 16. 2005

There is a little over a week left until our next meetup at the San Jose. If you like, RSVP here as well (or instead of) at the meetup.com site. It looks like I'll be there, as the dwell prefab conference in San Fran is fast approaching and I don't have a plane ticket yet.

We have 10 members listed on the meetup site, and there is at least one other that I know of. If you are watching this thread drop us a note, and let us know what your interest is, and maybe we can put together a specific agenda for the discussion.

I hope to see you ALL there (even you lurkers).

Mark

Posted by Victor at February 17. 2005

it was great meeting people who are interested in the same subjects as I am. I was thinking maybe we can do a meetup down the road to do a tour of modern houses, either of one that is under construction or already is build.

I am not sure if i will be attending this coming meetup. I will be going to San Antonio. if any changes regarding my plans, i will show up.

Posted by Hayden at February 26. 2005

Well, I hope yall had a good meetup. I could not make it because of a last minute emergency I had to attend to. How many people showed up? Topics of discussion? How did the Friday time slot work for everybody?

Posted by Susan McElroy at February 27. 2005

Well, just Mark and I showed up this time; I wish I could have met more of you all, but I understand there was a big AIA shindig Fri nite? Had a great time talking about modern houses in the Austin area, and of course since I'm curious about my own family's FG house the conversation revolved around that at first. Interesting cooincidence: I had brought a 1953 book that I'd bought last month on Ebay (woefully high price, but I'm obsessed) that had an Austin FG house pictured. Turns out Mark had recently seen the house inside and out! He told me where to find it, and it's a good thing as I would NEVER have ferreted out that place on my own.

Also talked about what makes modern style houses different in terms of living environment, our fave MCM neighborhoods in town, growth around commuter rail lines...

Posted by Karen Pittman at February 27. 2005

Sorry I missed it -- It's a good time slot, in general, but I've not been feeling well and didn't want to breathe on folks unnecessarily.
Glad some of you could make it!
-KP

Posted by Hayden at March 20. 2005

So who's going? I have not seen many RSVPs yet for next Friday.

Posted by Mark Meyer at March 20. 2005

I'll be there. We have a few RSVP's listed now, and at least one new member will be there.

Mark

Posted by charlene mcbride at April 12. 2005

So are you guys going to dump Meetup since they want to start charging $$?

Posted by Mark Meyer at April 13. 2005

Where did you learn about meetup starting to charge? I've missed that tidbit.

Mark

Posted by Karen Pittman at April 13. 2005

It's on a yellow bar across the top of the pages:

Important: Organizers will soon have to pay a small monthly fee on behalf of their Meetup Groups.
New features, too! Click here to learn more

$19 a month! Organizers of current groups will get a special $9/month rate for 2005, but that still adds up.

Posted by Mark Meyer at April 13. 2005

well that is down right silly...

I think we should keep our conversations on LiveModern anyway. I can post bulletins here to remind everybody in advance if that would help.

Mark

Posted by Hayden at April 13. 2005

Yeah, it is pretty silly. I am going to investigate other options. In the meantime, I will pay. One of you all can buy me a beer or something. :)

Posted by Victor at April 13. 2005

i got email from them and i read about it somewhere else. i think there is option in livemodern.com to schedule events.

maybe you seen this done but i try it out and i am waiting for my copy. i went to Austin City Limits Music Festival and i took lots picture. well using iphoto and the option of apple enabling me to print the book.

the idea was to get the group together and gather photos of modern houses in austin and maybe publish it. we can even sell it as coffee book? what you think?

Posted by charlene mcbride at April 13. 2005

Don't pay! Then they will have won with their stupid solution to a business plan that never completely worked anyway.

If you guys self publish a Modern Houses of Austin book, I'll make sure it gets added to the collection of the Austin Zine Library.

Posted by Mark Meyer at April 14. 2005
It is definitey possible to schedule events through LiveModern. They show up on the front page under events and you can subscribe to an RSS feed as well, to receive notification. I can also post bulletins in the Austin Forum to update everyone.

If we can get folks to RSVP here as well as at meetup.com that would be great well.

The Next Austin Modernist meeting is scheduled for:

April 22
7:30pm
The Hotel San Josè

Mark

Posted by Karen Pittman at April 14. 2005

I'm planning on being there.

As I mentioned on the Meetup message board, they were jam-packed full in the courtyard last time, and only allowing registered guests inside. Three of us managed to talk our way in anyway; I guess Mark also made it in, but failed to spot us. Possible remedies include pre-arranging with the SJ that our group may enter (won't work -- I called them. Their priority is understandably to hotel guests), picking another place, or picking a time when they won't be so crowded. Maybe earlier in the day would work better in terms of getting in?

I'll try to think of another place that might be both suitable and accessible, but if nobody comes up with anything I guess we'll just shoot for the SJ again and see what happens.

-KP

Posted by Hayden at April 15. 2005

Mark: I got some email from you that, I guess, was from ical. The thing is, there is a link you are supposed to click on, but it did not show up in hotmail. There was an attachment also that was 2k.

Karen: I say we just meet outside of the entrance and can go from there. I think the courtyard bar opens at 7:30 and that is why I chose that time. Could be 7, but still, if it is too crowded we can cruise soco and find somewhere else to drink and talk.

Another option for a location is The Green Muse coffee house. Out back, they have a sort of Japanese thing going on. Nothing is as cool as the SJ though.

Posted by Mark Meyer at April 15. 2005

Oops on the ical thing. I was trying to set something up that would email out reminders about upcoming meetings, but couldn't quite get it to work the way I wanted. Sorry for the confusion.

Mark