Personal tools
Sections

Agave

by Amy Kelly last modified Apr 19, 2012 04:20 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 6 votes)

Agave

Posted by Amy Kelly at October 20. 2005

Has anyone looked in to where this is or know anything about this? Green Mango Real Estate had a little blurb on their site and I found this listing on their site a couple of days ago... Wonder how much the lot cost is, if this floorplan/style could be built anywhere closer in...

http://www.greenmangorealestate.com/index.cfm?p=homelistingtype=forsaleid=447

Amy

Re: Agave

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at October 20. 2005

I posted about this awhile ago and no one chimed in. Since then I've been in contact with Carrie Bills of Green Mango quite a bit. Agave is a planned community featuring different designers - they are not selling lots, they are having houses designed for each specific lot in the subdivision - It's only 6 miles from downtown and on top of a small hill with some nice views. It's on the North sidce of MLK (Sendaro Hills). There will have to be some interesting designs due to topography changes.

I for one am REALLY excited about this and have a meeting with Carrie Bills next week to get more details about specific lots and designers - Travis Young is one of my favorite in town and he's designing a couple homes for diffeernt lots out there. Not to take away from all the other GREAT designers in town - there are a TON of talented folks in Austin.

The designer of the home online is Casa Bella Architects - you can google them to get more info.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Posted by sydney rubin at October 21. 2005

I was at Green Mango last Saturday and then drove out to walk the Agave property. I had been told it was just east of the old Mueller Airport but it is actually quite a bit farther out than that -- about six miles east IH 35 where the city turns into country. The property is on a rise, overlooking a Greenbelt bordering railroad track, downtown Austin in the distance and a wastewater treatment plant just across the road. A prison facility is about a half-mile away, as is an RV park. It is adjacent to and some lots overlook at brand new subdivision of $80,000 homes that already is taking on the air of a future slum. The day we were out there, there was a very nice breeze at the top of the hill.

The designs for the Agave homes are promising. Only one design has actually been completed, the CasaBella home on the Green Mango Website. That one sold last Saturday to the first buyers in the subdivision. Other homes are being designed by The Lawrence Group, KRDB Design-Build, Emily Little Architects, Studio Momentum and FAB Architecture. The developers are talking about setting aside land for a community garden and the adjacent subdivision is said to be putting in a pool. Agave home prices will range from about $160,000 to over $300k for four of five homes set on the largest lots at the very top of the hill. The homes also offer the option of a separate studio. The lots are very nice size. Green Mango says there's already considerable interest, even before they have most of the designs or have put much on the Website, and the 140 or so homes being planned should sell quickly. The very nice realtor who walked us through was Ali Carter. Good luck.

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at October 21. 2005

Yes there are some interesting neighbors nearby, but that's why the cost per sq ft is so attractive. Life is full of compromise - if I could afford to build a house in town with one of these architects, I would (and trust me have been looking into to it A LOT). This heigborhood is going to be VERY attractive to folks like myself would have to spend every last cent to build a hip house and HATE the idea of living in a cookiecutter house.

BTW, the house on the Green Mango site is still available, there is another house (also a casa bella design) that is already sold. I can't wait to see what's in store for the larger lots out there!!!!

I have a jpg of the phase I plat, but it's to big to post - if anyone would like to check it out, drop me an email - or let me know how I can make the file smaller so I can post it.

All my best,
Rob

Posted by tom mot at October 24. 2005

Wow, the price on that Agave home is pretty darn reasonable. About $110sf for the whole shebang, with appliances and landscaping even. Not bad. I wish they had some mockups of the interior posted though.

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at October 25. 2005

Contact Carrie Bills at carrie@greenmangorealestate.com and she can get you drawings of the kitchen options for that house - nice euro-looking cabinets - lots of storage!

My wife and I were out there and met with Carrie today - it's going to be a cool subdivision, but they are in the VERY early stages of development right now, but the pre-build prices are EXCELLENT! As long as you're not looking for a big house, they will probably have something to suit you needs around $200K!

I feel like a sales person for this place, but I'm just a consumer - not even in the trade at ALL!

Posted by Michael at November 19. 2005

[strong]Style more within reach[/strong]
Article on the Agave development in the Austin American Statesman Nov 19 2005.
http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/11/19agave.html
(thanks to Laura Carpenter who pointed this out...)

Posted by Heather Mabry at November 19. 2005

I went on a tour of Agave with Carrie yesterday and overall I was very impressed. There are some drawbacks such as the general location, but I'm willing to compromise so long as I can get a modern architect designed home in my price range, which I thought was nearly impossible prior to learning about Agave.

I've decided that I'm in - I'm planning to purchase one of the smaller homes with detached studio.

Heather

Posted by gina b at December 02. 2005

I have to agree with srubin.. the area isn't as desirable as I had hoped.

It is a nice development.. the views are awesome.. love the plans. But I wouldn't want to live in that area.

Just my thoughts..

Posted by Alana Chandler at May 01. 2007

prices have increased 100 grand due to demand; they now have announced "prices start at high 200s".  (see website).

There is a bunch o buzz on Agave and Mueller.

They continue to rise...