Personal tools

Moving to austin--info on new developments please!

by molly schwartz last modified Jan 22, 2006 01:21 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Moving to austin--info on new developments please!

Posted by molly schwartz at January 21. 2006

I'm moving to Austin in a few months and am really excited by a lot of the contemporary architecture I have seen on line. I've had a lot of fun looking at the floorplans and designs for the Agave development, for example. But I'm worried that its neighborhood is a bit isolated for me.

I've also noticed in browsing real estate listings what seem to be homes that are part of some other small, architecturally appealing developments closer in. But I don't know how to get a lot of information on these. I would love to hear where some other interesting house clusters are, especially in fill in (relatively) central Austin neighborhoods. I'm planning a trip to check out neighborhoods in a couple of weeks, and would love suggestions for places to drive around in my search for a new home with architectural integrity. I'm hoping to pay between 200-300.

Related to this, I'm from the Bay Area and entirely unaccustomed to extremely hot temperatures, and I'm worried about sweltering in Texas. Are cooling bills extraordinarily expensive in older (mid-century) homes? Are older homes a lot less comfortable in the summer than new ones with better insulation, etc? Do they require extensive replacement of windows for basic efficiency and comfort, or am I worrying too much about this? (I'd rather not purchase one that's already been renovated because so many of the ones I see on line seem like awful flip jobs with fake sashing on the windows, etc...)

Re: Moving to austin--info on new developments please!

Posted by paul schuster at January 21. 2006

we've recently moved to austin from santa cruz. I still have my 408# on my cell (brain doesn't like to learn new numbers). we've been here around 6 months now.

summer was hot, especially july and september. our a/c bills were not too high, electricity is a bit cheaper here. we're on the austin green energy program, so our bills are a bit higher. so if on regular service it'd be even cheaper.

anyhow, feel free to call me or email for any help finding your way. 408-375-2212 paul AT

and make sure you check to keep up w/ some of the new listings.

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at January 21. 2006

There are several cool in-fill areas - if you've looked on any local home search engines ( is my favorite) look in areas 6 and 7 just South of town, area 4 in the central area, and area 1A and 1B, just North of town. I will say that finding a cool home in these areas for 200 - 300K price range is now VERY difficult, if not impossible. Even the sub 1800 sq ft metrohouse ( duplexes are now priced the mid-300's.

If you don't have kids and want to get in an up and coming area (some will say it has a long way to go and in terms of schools it does), you should look in areas 3, 3E, and 5 - the east side of town. There are more and more new builds that are pretty hip - several KRDB projects etc.

I am not in the business, but have been obsessed with realestate/architecture in the area for the past year or so as I and my family are looking to move - probably to Agave . . . IMO it's the best bang for the buck and there's a cool new charter school (the Discovery School) that opened this year a half mile away from the development. Anyway - Austin is VERY hip, lots of great stuff, architecture among them.

As for the heat, make sure you can get out of town sometime in the July/August/September months for a break - it's HOT!!!!!!!!! We have an 1800 sq ft home and our cooling bills are in the $250 - 300 a month range at that time of year.

All my best to you - good luck!

Posted by paul schuster at January 22. 2006

Rob, tell those kids in, or OUT, in, or, out, shut the door!

have your summer bills always been that high? our highest bill was still under $250. and our home inspector said our a/c was not very efficient.

our austin utility bill includes water and trash. back in CA we got 3 seperate utility bills, electric/gas, trash service and water.

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at January 22. 2006

shoot, sorry $250 - 300 is total utilities per month, not just electric. This summer was the worst yet, prior summers were all under 250 and in most cases lower than 200.