Personal tools

Moving to Austin

by Shawn Wright last modified Sep 26, 2005 09:20 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Moving to Austin

Posted by Shawn Wright at September 08. 2005

Hello all.

My name is Shawn and I am moving from Houston to Austin because of my new job.

That said, I am looking for an apartment/duplex/house/loft that I can lease for now. I am coming from a nice modern, metal clad building with all of the usual things that come with a loft type apartment. i.e. stained concrete floors SS appliances, ect...

I have grown accustomed to this lifestyle and would like to find something in Austin that is similar. I am paying $1200 per month right now and would like to not go over that. All that I have seen through looking on the internet is the usual cookiecutter homes in the usual cookiecutter neighborhoods.

I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction with maybe some links or names that might assist me in finding a nice modern place to live.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Moving to Austin

Posted by Mike Derr at September 11. 2005

Check out this realtor's website: [url href=][/url]

Posted by Alex Wolfe at September 25. 2005

Having recently moved from Chicago I was in the same boat as you. I'm sure I'll catch hell for saying this, but I was really disappointed to discover the dearth of upscale loft units for rent (or sale) in the downtown Austin area.

After searching for a loft unit for rent in downtown Austin area, I soon discovered that contractor grade fixtures, hollow-core doors, formica countertops, and the cheapest appliances known to man seem to be standard equipment.

Case in point is my unit in the Amli Downtown, which is billed as upscale loft living (but is far from it). I pay $1450/month for 950 square feet and one parking spot. The only thing nice about this unit is the concrete floors. It didn't even come with a microwave in the kitchen or towel bars in the bathroom. The windows are tiny and it's clear that the development was done on a budget. I'm most certainly not living in the lap of luxury.

At this price point, you may be thinking it would be wise to buy instead of rent. Think again. Take a look at Austin City Lofts, a new loft building with a build-out which is nicer than Amli. Still, we're not talking about top end units here. They've got stainless appliances and granite countertops (which are both standard equipment even in inexpensive Chicago lofts), but still nothing special. Not Thermador stoves or Subzero refrigerators. And the cost? $350 per square foot. Just to put this in perspective, at that price you'll be paying around $330K for my 950 square foot loft. Two tiny rooms for $330K.

If you want something reasonably sized, say around 1900 square feet expect to pay almost $700K. And the property tax? Somewhere around $14K/year.

This all came as a great shock to me especially given the number of empty lots/abandoned buildings in the downtown area. If the demand is high enough to support such absurd prices, then why aren't developers building more (and better) units?

Good luck. Let me know if you find something, because I'm at a loss.

Posted by charlene mcbride at September 26. 2005

towel bars? we don't need no stinkin' towel bars!

I wonder if the demand really is high enough to support those prices. Those are almost NYC prices! There are so many other apartments (maybe not as big as that) available for so much less, but you forgo the fancy schmancy moco style.

Posted by Alex Wolfe at September 26. 2005
Amli Downtown is nearly full, so there must be adequate demand for downtown living at these prices. Looks like many other downtown rentals are ridiculously priced also.

I found this on Craigslist. 637 square feet and a parking spot for $1250/month. I guess the "modern appliances" justify the gross premium. Funny. They just look like base line Whirlpool appliances to me. And what's with the washer and dryer hookups? Is this for real? I have to haul in my own washer and dryer?

Unbelievable. You're right. One can find similar housing for the same prices in America's most expensive major metropolitan areas. I just don't understand. Someone please help me before I completely lose composure!

Attention Austin Developers! These are quality appliances. Your's are just cheap junk. Even your most colorful adjectives can't change that.

OK. I'm done venting now.