Personal tools
Sections

Roofers in Austin

by Justin Dill last modified May 11, 2006 04:19 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Roofers in Austin

Posted by Justin Dill at May 11. 2006

Now that I am done with school for the summer we are back on track to get the house done. Due to all of the storms over the last week our roof got damaged and we are looking to replace it with a metal roof. After having one company come out we are daunted by the price. We were quoted for 14k, that seems way to high as our house is not that big and it's a single pitch house.

I am looking for a roofer that will work with me, I will take tear down the existing roof and prep it for the new one. Just need someone to come out and install the metal.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
JD

Re: Roofers in Austin

Posted by Karen Pittman at May 11. 2006

I used Tom Cook Roofing for my workshop roof which is galvalume in a single plane. They also installed the roof on my house (same material, much more complicated roof). Both jobs were done quickly and with a high quality of workmanship. No matter who you talk to, you may find high prices. The prices of building materials have done nothing but increase recently.

Good luck!

-KP

Posted by Justin Dill at May 11. 2006

Thanks I will check them out. I know that there is a premium for a metal roof, but the quote I got just seemed ridiculous to me. It is funny that you wrote back, I saw a post on your workshop a couple of months ago and I was looking for it again. I am curious, what did you use for flashing on your workshop? I am interested in doing something similar to that on my house.

Thanks,
JD

Posted by Karen Pittman at May 11. 2006

Hi JD,

If it was a thread about polycarbonate, maybe it was this one:

http://members.livemodern.com/forums/dwell/dwelllabs/354884783834

I got custom galvalume profiles bent by Montopolis Supply to flash the hardipanel squares. Actually, the verticals are just flat, 6 wide strips, and the horizontals are Z's that cup slightly over the panels below, and have a 4 tail that sticks up under the panels above. I also used custom-bent galvalume around the window in a more complex profile that goes behind the polycarbonate window, which is held in place with rubber-washered screws.

Hope you find a good bid on your roof,
-KP