Personal tools
Sections

'54 BH&G Home for All America

by Robert Searcy last modified Aug 11, 2005 08:49 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

'54 BH&G Home for All America

Posted by Robert Searcy at August 05. 2005

In 1954 there was a national program with Better Homes Gardens Magazine where they promoted a mid-century modern design called the Home for All America. In Austin the home was built at 5601 Ridgeoak Drive by W.L. Mayfiled and furnished by Shanks-Meyers and Calcasieus. Anybody locally familiar with the area or house? the article is downloaded on www.glenbrookvalley.com.

Re: '54 BH&G Home for All America

Posted by Susan McElroy at August 10. 2005

I know this area very well; in fact I was going to recommend it to the other poster from Ariz who wanted to know about MCM areas. I've got a sneaking feeling about that address, and will check back with you tomorrow. I'm beginning to get paranoid about posting these things--afraid that we're pointing out targets for tearers-down. No, not really, but it can get depressing. This neighborhood used to be called Highland Park West, but I've noticed I don't see that placename used much these days. Some have fabulous views (maybe unfortunately)and they tend to be more 60's I think than earlier.

Posted by Susan McElroy at August 11. 2005

OK, I checked it out. Took my camera but there were yardwork guys across the street that were watching me closely and I didn't want to freak anybody out. It's been pitch roofed with metal which I doubt is original. Do you have a photo? I read the article and saw the reference page but didn't see any pictures that looked like this one.

Posted by Susan McElroy at August 11. 2005

Duuhhh...Now I get it. All those pictures are of the house model, which was built in all those locations. I'm afraid the house is so changed I didn't recognize it. But it still is long and narrow...:(

I'll go back by tomorrow and try to take a picture. It no longer has that open look; I guess the airy space was closed in to make more interior...