Sections

Property to Buy for Building Modern

by Maggie Tatum last modified May 31, 2006 08:33 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Property to Buy for Building Modern

Posted by Maggie Tatum at May 30. 2006

Hello-

I am currently living just west of downtown Fredericksburg. I am wanting to buy some land in a community to build a custom modern home. I will be the Interior Designer and will probably have a floor plan developed to give to an architect to help me develop my ideas for the exterior and interior architectural aspects.

The problem is I am not sure where to begin looking for an area that I would feel I would like, fit in, and has a good school for my children. My oldest is going into his Junior Year in High School so I will not be able to move until he graduates but this gives me 2 years to find an area, develop a floor plan, work with an architect and have everything ready for move-in after he graduates.

I don't want to be too close to the city but don't want to be too far out either. I am originally from Houston and if anyone knows about the area there - I am looking for something similiar to the Woodlands or Kingwood but with more of shopping and restaurant of that since in Rice Village, Highland Village, and the Montrose/Westheimer Areas. I am looking for a community that is much smaller than the ones I mentioned too. I prefer my children to go to a smaller school as well. My ideal drive into downtown Austin would be something around 30 minutes.

Could someone lead me in a few directions for me to drive out and take a look at the area? And possible names of some real estate people to talk to as well for purchasing and searching for what I am looking for?

I have searched the Internet but only turn up existing homes or areas with selected homes to choose from.

Thanks!
Maggie

Re: Property to Buy for Building Modern

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at May 30. 2006

If I were you, I'd look in area 8W whcih is on the west side of town - Eanes ISD, which are the best schools in Austin (some may argue that Round Rock is as good in certain areas - the Westwood HS line), it's about 30 - 40 minutes outside of town depending on traffic and LOTS of growth happening. There is a HUGE new shopping center going in a little further out that will have some high end shops. Look along Cuernavaca Road for example - here's a lot I looked at a while ago that's still for sale:

http://12.168.161.3/ahs/GetResults2New.aspx?id=64339cp=-1ps=-1pf=989cat=Listingadd=st=0oo=True

Good luck!
Rob

Re: Property to Buy for Building Modern

Posted by Mark Meyer at May 31. 2006

The real kicker is what sort of budget you have to throw at the land.

There are a LOT of interesting properties for sale out in the Apache Shores area just South-East of the Dam on 620 (near Bee Caves) The lots area all slope-y, but none to hard to design around. They all seem to be fairly well priced and suit your requirements stated above, although I think the high school is pretty big. There seems to be a significant amount of deelopment out that way and som of it is modern and pretty nice.

Mark Meyer