Personal tools

Industrial Materials -- are they cheaper?

by christiane last modified Oct 05, 2005 08:54 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Industrial Materials -- are they cheaper?

Posted by christiane at October 04. 2005

My husband and I are designing the remodel of our 1950's home. We're going the contemporary/urban modernist/industrial route and we really like the look-and-feel of the Metrohouses.

Can someone help me figure out what's cheaper? We like the cinderblock siding. Is using cinderblock really cheaper? Are their specific city codes that limit usage?

Also, what's with the plywood flooring in these places? Is that just a temporary measure until tenants decide to upgrade? It seems like painted plywood wouldnt last long.

Also, I'm wondering about flooring options in general. We're on pier and beam, so stained concrete is out of the question. What are the environmental implications of using vinyl tile?

Finally, I'm wondering about the use of industrial glass doorways. Are they cheaper than traditional wood doors frames? All of the Metrohouses have them, and I like the idea of using them for side or back doors, but my assumption would be that they are quite costly.

If you can help with any of these questions, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Re: Industrial Materials -- are they cheaper?

Posted by Karen Pittman at October 05. 2005

Hi Christiane,

Plain old gray concrete block is less expensive than fancier block (split-face, burnished) or brick or stone, but it's still more expensive than hardie siding. Not sure where stucco falls in that spectrum, except it's more expensive than hardie. Metal siding is more expensive than hardie.

I'm not aware of any general City of Austin limitations, but particular developments might have all sorts of restrictions on siding, % brick, the shape of your roof, etc. Sounds like you are in a CoA older neighborhood, so you should be OK.

You could call a glass company like Floyd's, Maxey Glass, or Binswanger to ask about commercial storefront doors and get a quote. These are often installed as part of a window system, but not always.

Hull Supply can give you a commercial, metal exterior door for several hundred dollars, depending on size, window, etc.

Someone else should address the vinyl tile question. If you are concerned about greenness but like the look of non-ceramic tile, check out Marmoleum.

Have fun!