Personal tools
Sections

Steel Hardscape without Big Red Sun Price!

by Tim Raines last modified Dec 12, 2005 10:20 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Steel Hardscape without Big Red Sun Price!

Posted by Tim Raines at December 18. 2004

I'm a huge fan of the rust patina metal used in modern landscapes around austin similar to what Big Red Sun does on almost all of their projects. Does anyone know the actual metal workers that I can call and work with directly with no landscaper markup? I would also be interested in pre-made containers in large sizes, made of the same steel.

Re: Steel Hardscape without Big Red Sun Price!

Posted by Universal Constructor at December 18. 2004

Hi Traines.

I like that stuff too. Big Red Sun does nice work.

Give me a ring and I can roll through my monster Rolodexes for you.

- Jonathan

Universal Joint Design Associates:
Full Service Design and Construction

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
AIA Design Associate
Austin, Texas 1 512 407 9628

www.universaljointdesign.com

Posted by Mark Meyer at December 19. 2004

Traines,

I doubt if you'll find any metal workers that can come up with the designs for you as well as do the execution. There are quite a few other landscape firms doing similar work to BRS, and a few are up and coming and so wouldn't be as expensive. Do you have designs and ideas for your project? If you do all you'd really need are construction drawings to shop around to local metal-workers/artisans (of which there are many)

Also avail yourself a trip to Austin Pipe (the junkyard just east of I-35 at 4th street (or so). BRS (and others)gets a lot of scrap metal things from there. You never know what you'll find, and many times there are amazing cast-off pieces from unknown industrial applications that will work perfectly for a xeri-scape landscape like I think you have in mind.

Drop me a line if you'd like to chat about it some more.

Mark

Posted by joseph hess at December 20. 2004

i am a metal worker and have worked in the industry for years. i am also a huge fan of good design ( yah i know that is in the eye of the beholder). i have done many projects with interior designers,artists and architects as well as my main thing building winery tanks and equipment. you can save an ton of money on fabrications of all sorts by first and foremost educating yourself and then you can speak as if you knew more than you really do when getting quotes from companies.every fab shop i have ever dealt with has different prices based on who is calling. off the street pricing is far different than a customer you routinely deal with.secondly if you were to call your local steel shop and say im looking for this stuff i saw over here and it looked kinda rusty and stuff and i want you to make some planters for me you would probably end up getting a highly inflated quote. if, however, you knew the exact thing you wanted, had the actual material number ( ie A-36, 5056 that sort of thing) and sent a few drawings with correct dimensions etc. all clearly layed out ( c.a.d. drawing much preffered) you would get much, much better pricing. plus you begin to learn more lingo as you go and can beging to negotiate better pricing with each new firm you talk to. this may sound like a lot of work but depending on the size of project you want to do could easily prove well worth the effort and if your up to the challenge can be a ton of fun. if you want more help just let me know. if you were to post some pictures or email them to me i could give you more info. in amongst all the metal fabbers out there is always some who are starving artists looking to supplement thier incomes with some side work. you sometimes have to be careful to make sure they know what their doing but sometimes it can be a real win-win deal. either way, i think your cheapest approach will be to send autocad drawings around to all your local fab shops and go with the one that has not neccessarily the lowest price but the combination between low price and ease of dealing with/turnaround time. I may be able to help with the drawings as well.
hope this helps at all!!!

Posted by Universal Constructor at December 31. 2004

Traines,

Good advice from Mark and Andeejoe.

I do think this would be a great home-grown project, however, where you could get out your survey of your property and scale your yard (or measure it) to some appropriate scale that you could work off of. A scale, pencil, eraser, pencil sharpener and some graph paper would be a good way to start.

Take some photos of projects that you like around town and keep them handy.

I personally would not think that you would need cad drawings for a supplier or fabricator, unless you needed some complicated cnc driven cutting. I would think you could bring in hand drawn descriptions with measurements for them to supply you with materials. Check with andeejoe, but I would imagine that a metalworker with a rig could even just tack weld the sides of your boxes and you could set these in the lawn. Depending on the plants' needs some 6-10 mil black plastic could probably serve as a barrier if you needed it.

I can't imagine that you would have any demands on the type of steel you were using, though it could be cool to get some stainless going where the supplier actually bend it up for you into an open box and you just rolled the top edge somehow. Marks suggestion to check with the recycling yards could be good here as well.

I just got back from Marfa, so to some extent my thinking is that even the wicked precise sculptures done by Donald Judd were manufactured without anything but pencil sketches and a decent fabricator...

- Jonathan

P.S. I'm always one for hiring professionals, so it could also be good to bring someone on to landscape consult for you for a couple of bucks if you do the bulk of the work.

AIA Design Associate

Posted by Steve Hunt at January 28. 2005

These might not offer quite the sticker shock relief you’re seeking but let me know if you’d like to see them.

36 dia., 22 tall

Roll formed 3/16” steel outer wall with plasma cut floral motif. A nesting inner wall of .090” steel is welded in place to keep the dirt in.

-shunt

Attachments

Slot Box TROUGH
3/16 Steel
L 40, W 17, H 13.5

The side walls utilize alternating inverted slots for assembly much like corrugated box dividers. My flower logo is laser cut into the bottom pan as serves as a drain. The corners are tack welded in place so you don’t have to fret if you need to move it around.

My favorite part is the open outside corners and how they highlight the material thickness. You just have to be careful to not place it too close to a foot path or risk that eventual meeting of shin and metal.

-shunt

Attachments

Slot Box TAPER
3/16 Steel
L 20, W 15, H 20

The price on these designs might be a bit more palatable, but then again, maybe not.

I have several other large scale designs that use much thinner steel (much cheaper), just not in stock. So, if any of these designs interest you let me know.

Cheers,
-shunt

Attachments

Posted by Jean-Pierre Louis at January 29. 2005

Do you have a website or store front in Austin? We are going to start looking for planters for the spring pretty soon.

JPL

Posted by Steve Hunt at January 29. 2005

There’s no store front or public web site. The designs I posted are pre-production units from a line a products I’m designing for Pradura that are not yet commercially available.

We love the burgeoning modern scene here in Austin. So occasionally we simply make select items available to those locals helping to further Austin’s mod-ification.

Other designs can be viewed from a secure portion of the Pradura web site. I can set up a guest account and email you a login/password if you like. If you find something of interest a personal showing can be arranged.

-shunt

Posted by Universal Constructor at January 30. 2005

S.

Nice work. I like this one quite a bit.

You should shoot me an email so I can send people your way. I should be starting an addition for some folks that may be looking for just that kind of thing.

Are those cnc cut by any chance and just slotted together?

I like it.

- JDC

AIA Design Associate

Posted by Robert McKay at December 08. 2005

Just thought I'd give myself a shameless plug... I have a small design/build firm here in Austin. We have been specializing in steel hardscaping and basically everything modern that goes in the yard from steel retaining walls, gates and fences to planters and fire pits with the odd fountain thrown into the mix. I originally trained as an architect so I apply that training to my current work. We're happy to take a project from the ground up with design and fabrication/installation services and we're equally happy bidding anything you can imagine. Should any of this sound interesting please feel free to visit my sadly neglected website (it surely must be at least six months out of date) and drop me a line.

Best wishes to everyone,

Robert McKay
MACDESIGN-BUILD.COM

Attachments

Posted by paul schuster at December 10. 2005

here's an idea of none of the above pan out.

get up tomorrow (or most any sunday) and take yourself over to maria's taco xpress on s. lamar around 10.30. you'll find this group of somewhat greasy folks on stage going through this routine of gospel and peace/love songs (it all makes more sense w/ the sunday morning beer and bloody marys). the tall skinny greasy blond hair guy doing most of the singing is named PJ. he's scrap metal artist I've run into while scrounging around the steel yards myseslf.

he strikes me as the sort of guy that could also lend a hand w/o busting your budget. I've got his car somewhere if you need his contact #. but it's more fun to catch him at hippie church. that way if nothing gets resolved w/ the planters, you still caught some culture and or a beverage.

paul

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 11. 2005

Man Paul, when you move in you dive right into the local culture. Let me know when a page for hippie church goes up on your site! :)

ok, I'll indulge

Posted by paul schuster at December 12. 2005

><br>

my daughter is here admiring her baloon art that magic mike gave her. he's the guy on the harmonica. he comes around and does magic and the baloons between sets. once I saw this guy nearly burn the place down w/ his fire spitting routine (there is a low primitive roof over the area, mostly latice and plastic). maria; the owner, promtply removed the flamable stuff from the stage area and gave him a proper scolding. but what do you expect when you give folks beer and gospel for breakfast?

this from a set of pics detailing the move and first two months in tx.
http://www.schusterphoto.com/austin2005/index2.html

paul

><br>

beer and gospel for breakfast

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 12. 2005

Not to mention chips and salsa for breakfast too!