Personal tools

Cost of Post and Beam

by Cherie Gilbert last modified Jan 09, 2006 04:25 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Cost of Post and Beam

Posted by Cherie Gilbert at January 09. 2006

What is the cost difference for post and beam constuction as compared to regular construction with fake beams? We what to build an Eichler/Cliff May style post and beam home in Georgetown.

Re: Cost of Post and Beam

Posted by Mark Meyer at January 09. 2006

Interesting question. I am currently overseeing construction of a renovation, turning an existing concrete block bungalow into and Eichler-Like-ler (as someone else once said.) It is a fairly drastic overhaul, and we pretty much tore down a lot of what was existing in order to make it into what it will soon be. We have large exposed glulams (47' feet long 12X 3 1/8), a 2 in 12 roof pitch (utilizing 6 deep steel skinned SIPs, left exposed as the interior finish), walls of fixed glass and large sliding glass doors, deep overhangs, etc., etc.

Where you have solid walls with smaller windows, you'll want to either use a panelized structural product, or just stick frame the walls. The posts get inserted within the large walls of glass. The nice thing about the steel skinned SIPs is that they can span a considerable distance, thus minimizing your need for a LOT of glulams.

If you designed around your construction system from the get go, it would be cheaper to build a house using said system than to build a house using standard construction techniques, then trick it out to look like what you want it to. I think by being smart about the construction system from the outset, one could build an updated post and beam home for between $100-$150/s.f. with out working too hard at it.

Feel free to drop me a line off board if you'd be interested to take a look at the renovation project and the materials we used to accomplish our goals.

Mark Meyer

Re: Cost of Post and Beam

Posted by Vikas Wadhwa at January 09. 2006

You should check here as well if you already haven't...

check under the Modern Homes forum.