Personal tools
Sections

Round dining tables

by Jean-Pierre Louis last modified Aug 30, 2012 12:36 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Round dining tables

Posted by Jean-Pierre Louis at November 30. 2004

We bought a new modern home in Austin a few months ago, having moved from a smaller apartment we don't have a lot of furniture. We've been looking for a round dining table that won't break the bank, we would like it to sit at least 6. I've been thinking about an 54 Eames dining table, but I'm a little reluctant to get one without having seen it or the finishes in person. Any suggestions on furniture stores to visit in the Austin area?

JPL

Re: Round dining tables

Posted by Mark Meyer at November 30. 2004

I'd first try TOPS over on East 5th St. (One block east of I-35). They are a used office supply house and generally have Herman Miller tables in many differnt sizes and types. You will however find other things you just can't live without that you never knew you needed, so be forwarned.

Mark

Posted by Jean-Pierre Louis at November 30. 2004

Thanks, I'll try to go by this weekend.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at December 01. 2004

><br>

We have an Eames table in our kitchen, nothing fancy and not expensive. Its got a white laminate top with the black vinyl edge. The center post is black and the base natural aluminum. It is much higher quality for the price than anything you would find at your local dinette center!

Looks just like this:

><br>

Posted by Mark Meyer at December 01. 2004

I agree with Greg. I have an Eames (actually Herman Miller but with the standard Eames base) rolling table that is a 19x19 square. It has a buff-colored laminate top and a rubber/vinyl edging with the black center post, and the cast aluminum roller base. It is built like a tank (I've used it to reach my ceiling, although trepidatiously). I bought it from a used office supply place for $20. I think you can still get them from Herman Miller for $150 or so. Used office supply places ROCK! They always have Herman Miller and Knoll stuff.

Mark

Posted by Jean-Pierre Louis at December 02. 2004

Thanks for the replies. The table will be our only dining table and our place is very open, so we want it to look nice and not be delicate/fragile. Since it will be so visible, we will probably want a wood veneer, it is good to know they are built well.

Posted by Universal Constructor at December 02. 2004

Tops is a great suggestion. Depending on who you get you may be able to negotiate a little...

Aqua is a nice place to get in and get a feel for where you are headed as well with this kind of stuff. They recently moved up onto N. Lamar near my way. Nice stuff and probably some good books. Depending on who you get you may be able to chat with them a little...

Other than that, your probably still headed for a trip to Houston for nice furniture (amazing but still true)...Anbody want to float the first year of a furniture consignment/architecture shop here in town? I've got connections in Paris for Jean Prouve, Eileen Gray, and all the hip happening italian plastic stuff... ; )

Jonathan

Universal Joint Design Associates:
Full Service Design and Construction

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
AIA Design Associate
Austin, Texas 1 512 407 9628

www.universaljointdesign.com

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at December 16. 2004

I have been intreguied of late by this base by Doug Mockett.

http://www.mockett.com/default.asp?ID=633

They will make you a table frame out of 2x2 square aluminum tubing. Given the examples, I would guess a 26 square frame would be about $450. Then you can go have a round top made any size you want and of any material you want. Formica, probably $100. Birch veneer, $200. Solid walnut, maybe $500. Glass, $200. Marble, $700.

For the Eames table, try either ebay or www.highbrowfurniture.com.

Posted by Mark Meyer at December 16. 2004

There is an elliptical Eames table in Rosewood for $1650 at Metro Modern in Houston. It is normally $2250 but they are trying to make room for a bunch of Knoll stuff. If I had the $$$ I'd take it, as it is a steal at that price.

Mark

Posted by Dennise Raj at October 11. 2010

After much research I finally found it all in one of the most obvious places:  Yes, I know the quality won't be as lovely as some of those 'proper' wood items, but the price is very good and I'm sure the durability will be great for a kids room.

dining tables

Posted by joseph50 at August 30. 2012
Previously Dennise Raj wrote:

After much research I finally found it all in one of the most obvious places:  Yes, I know the quality won't be as lovely as some of those 'proper' wood items, but the price is very good and I'm sure the durability will be great for a kids room.

dining tables