Personal tools

modern austin site.

by Ben Phenix last modified Oct 04, 2005 11:52 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

modern austin site.

Posted by Ben Phenix at September 18. 2005

I thought it was about time for a more formal announcement of a website I've been working on.

[url href=""][/url]

Modern Austin basically comprises of two components:

• Info and pictures of modern homes in Austin. Mid-century and newer. Currently working to develop bios of mid-century designers as well as information/links for current ones.
  • Publish and collect for sale listing of modern homes in the area. This is a bit further on in content and has a nice mix of mid-century and newer builds. I don't list condos developments in general, but take a look at [url href=""][/url]for condo style developments.

So far there are over 50 For Sale listings and 150 images and more coming. I plan to do more in-depth individual home focused shoots and info in the future. Right now, most everything is curbside pictures. Just driving around and taking pictures has been entry level way to learn about the layout of Austin and how it developed. Today I posted up pictures from Rollingwood and Balcones area along with some from the Nagel Residence and the Foster House.

One thing that has emerged is the fairly strong strong history of modernism here. Sure there could be more, and it is very sad to see some classics destroyed, but coming from the northwest, there seems to be more examples of 50's era modernism per capita than up there. Even LA with some lovely history (Lautner, etc) seems to have fewer everyday examples (LA modernism runs towards the very, very hi-end).

Most welcome would be some feedback, pointers to listings (thanks to those who have already provide some) I may have missed or that you come across in the future, or historical information. This forum has been extremely valuable in providing some of that information. Also thanks to Mark Meyer for some pointers and dates on local mid-century architects.

Additional: the site is set-up on a blog engine which allows for RSS feeds and commenting.

Re: modern austin site.

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at September 18. 2005

Great site - thanks for putting all this in one place.

Posted by Victor at September 19. 2005

bsp, great site. the link to archive.asp doesnt work. i am not sure if mean to be like that. sometimes i wonder as group we should go around on the weekend and break down into small group and take pictures of modern houses.

Posted by Ben Phenix at September 19. 2005

victor, thanks for link notice. i'll have to look into that (it isn't immediately apparent how that gets generated).

anyone who wants to send me pictures, i'll be happy to put them up. i started this in part because i am new to austin, so it is document of sorts of me learning about austin and the area.

here in LA this week so I think a trip by some of Lautner's Silverlake homes is in order.

Posted by charlene mcbride at September 24. 2005

You know this is going to lead to me standing in front of gorgeous homes and staring.;)

Posted by ernesto polendo at October 03. 2005

to all of you out there trying to see some more examples of modern houses around austin. try next year the aia home tour that is open to the public first weekend in october. that was last weekend. sorry I just found this forum website. I wish I knew before.
on the other hand, would somebody know of an architect/builder who could help me with a housing project with modern in it. I would like to invest somewhere between $150 k and $200k. lot included, does it sound right?

Posted by Mark Meyer at October 04. 2005

You MAY have a hard time finding a lot in central Austin that would leave you enough money to actually build within your stated budget. There are however lots to be had further out west (near the lake) that would be inexpensive enough for you to get something built for your stated budget. It all depends where you want to live, and what you are willing to give up to live there. Once you track down some areas that interest you, I'd be happy to help you with your project. You can see some of my work at the link in my signature.

Mark Meyer