Personal tools
Sections

Just bought in Agave

by Sharon Love last modified Mar 03, 2013 05:25 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 39 votes)

Re: Just bought in Agave

Posted by adam whatley at May 01. 2006
Purchased Kevin Stewart 1 story at 5318 Sendero Hills Drive last month and looking forward to moving in. What a great neighborhood itis going to be! Looking forward to meeting all of you and if anyone wants to chat send me a message and we can compare notes.

congrats to texasadam

Posted by paul schuster at May 01. 2006

I've been watching that agave site and have even directed a few folks I know that are looking to buy. that kevin stewart 1 story has to be one of my favorite designs on their site. I find I keep going back to look at it.

I hope you'll keep us updated w/ the construction pics and interior finishing touches etc.

paul schuster

Posted by Jason L Hampton at May 05. 2006

Congratulations texasadam! We have been watching your house go up. We will be two houses down from you at 5308 Sendero Hills. The builders mentioned what they will be doing with the ceilings in your house. Sounds very nice! We are excited about breaking ground within the next few weeks. I also wanted to mention to everyone, that we have a friend whose brother is a developer out of state and he visted last weekend. We took him out to the property and he walked through all of the current cunstruction sites. His verdict: Looks to be sound building practices and to code, was impressed with the 'green' aspect and said we would have nothing to worry about when it comes to appreciation. Just be willing to give it a few years. Question: Has anyone completed the floorplan review process? We did just over three weeks ago and did not sign off on any documentation. Did anyone else or did you only five verbal approvals? For those of you that we have met, it is a great pleasure to know that our neighbors have such enthusiasm about the community too!

Posted by Jordan Silverman at May 12. 2006

Well... my wife and I just bought into Agave. We walked through the kevin stewart 1860 and nearly fell over. We weren't in the market for a house but we felt this development could not be passed up. So, we did it... I can't even begin to tell you how excited we are... 5437 Agatha. We have two labs and two cats, so you'll definitely be seeing us walking around outside. Anyway, we look forward to meeting our new neighbors!

Posted by James Sharp at May 23. 2006

Hi all! Things for our FAB house @ Sendero are moving along swimmingly. I'm told the slab will be poured any day now.

I know there is some Yahoo group for Agave people and I wondered if anyone lurking here might know how to get to it. I should just give Carrie a call but I was looking for an excuse to visit this forum again.

We've been creeping 'bout Agave the last couple of weekends and, walking through all the activity, some things have become more clear.

I'm in the urban land conservation business. Naturally I felt a slight pain seeing the beautiful rolling prairieland developed. At the same time I am really excited to see Agave coming to form. I know there are many great reasons to want to be part of the Agave experiment. I am thrilled to choose a home that will operate as efficiently as possible and that will set beside neighbors who will collectively take on the burden--and joy--of caring for this little piece of Austin.

I think what may make Agave a really special place, aside from the architecture and it's 'green' development, is that a community is being formed before the rooftops exist. How many people have the privilege of creating new places like this?

This might sound smugly earnest but as things are coming together at Agave, I feel reassured.

Once we are all moved in, I really hope we connect with each other and that the community garden and parkspace are busy areas. I'm as excited for the possibility of progressive open house parties and community cookouts as I am for the house I'm buying!

Take care and look forward to meeting more neighbors at the next happening at the trailer....

James

Yahoo List

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at May 23. 2006

there is a Yahoo List, and Sharon (selove) is the keeper I think. She can get you in. I sent her an email to let her know you would like o know more.

Glad to hear things are going well on your FAB house and I agree completely about the community of people - should be GREAT!

Rob

Posted by Jordan Silverman at June 03. 2006

okay, cancel the prior comment. they decided to build the KS 1860 on a different lot after we signed a contract (THE LOT WE WANTED ORIGINALLY), so we took it... and paid more (gag!) Anyway, its the house we want, on the lot we wanted... 7308 Ava Lane....

Posted by Jan Hill at June 03. 2006

Wow you all are really getting it together...I just bought the KRDB house that will have the circle drive.

I went into Kim's house and fell in love and I hope you all know that the first home has closed and there are official Agaveites living on site.

I have met many of you and am impressed so much by your enthusiasm and spirit, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to live near you.

Jan:cool:

Posted by Robin Avila at June 06. 2006
Hi Everyone! My name is Robin, and my husband and I have bought the Swisher 2-story at 5353 Agatha. This site is so great! I am so excited to have all of you for neighbors! Jordosilver - we have a golden, so we will definatley see you out walking our awsome community. Last night we went out, and saw that we have first floor framing! It's really a rush to stand in what will (for us) be our first house - I hope to meet all of you at Opals - See you there! Robin

Posted by Alana Chandler at April 16. 2007

Just bought 5416 Agatha Circle Casa Bella 1590 with garage.  Next day prices were raised 30 grand on all homes for those not yet aware of your equity increase!

I design advertising and marketing pieces within the mortgage industry and therefore have a bit of fun specifically working on things for my new neighborhood...haven't even broken ground on the house though, yet of course.  It does give a great inside scoop for me however as to the hottest investment areas which currently have the buzz on Agave and Mueller Airport development.

We are out there each weekend seeing how all is coming along and can't wait to see a blade of grass move somewhere else so we can get this party started!

Alana And Alexandra

I will be starting a myspace Agave group. Will keep all posted

artistalana@hotmail.com

Posted by Chong Shin at April 17. 2007

My name is Chong Shin, I have a contract for a house at Agave.  I am working on a law suit against them and I am looking to see how many people are having problems with getting their house built on time, or built correctly, or them making changes to it without your approval.  If you are having any of these problems can you please contact me at cshin6@yahoo.com.

Posted by J.P at April 26. 2007

Hi everyone,

I am about to draw up a contract in Agave but I am having second thoughts. My impression is this so far and I would love to hear youropinions or feel free to correct me on anything you might think differently on!

The people: The people who buy in agave will make it a great place, no doubt it is going to be a great illustration of Austin and its sophistication

The Houses: The first 20 + houses seem to have the best lots and largest. They have great views of the city and large back yards. The lots not developed yet, like the ones I am looking at, I am told the design I have chosen wont look much like the model I based it after. Not to mention all of those windows will be looking it seems staight into someone elses house and vice versa. Most of the lots NOT developed yet are flat and won't have the decks and porches seen on the first generation.

The second developement I am told will start at 350,000$ and be higher on the hill. If you request a larger lot than those offered right now for the first developement currently underway you can expect to add 50$K. The no haggle price translates to me as they can tag what they want on it and you can take it or leave it?? Not exactly the attitude I was looking for when building a house. But I can handle it

The materials don't seem pricey to me, in fact just the opposite. Akia and Lowes pretty much makes everything used by the builder outside of the concrete floors and for 320,000$K in Austin Texas, you have options.

The location is great, but Agave is not as far as some other developements on MLK but it is not as close as say the Mueller or Chestnut neighborhoods.

Thoughts, comments, remarks are welcomed. I would like to buy in Agave but it seems like it is a "take it or leave it" deal, which I don't respond well to when there are many vague details on the build.

Not sur eif the market will really reach out as far east as agave but I plan on living there for 5-7 years at least and location and materials are more important to me than the investment itself. However, I don't see houses selling fast in Agave for more than 350$K in the near future

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at April 26. 2007
Hey JP - email me about all this off list at carnochan@mail.utexas.edu. Rob

Posted by J.P at April 29. 2007

Previously Robert M. Carnochan wrote:

Hey JP - email me about all this off list at carnochan@mail.utexas.edu.

Rob

Attempted ot email you Robert, feel free to email me at Jpatrisi@aol.com I will respond promptley and I look forward to talking with. Thanks!!!

Posted by J.P at May 07. 2007

I just wanted to thank eveyone for all the information and invitations to share your experience. I have decided to buy in agave and very much look forward to seeing you all there

Posted by catherine j at June 25. 2007
Hi There I am trying to find what the company is that made the kitchen cabinets in all of the agave homes. I know they are made by the same company that makes ikea's cabinets. If you know the name, please let me know. Thanks C

Posted by netnomad at November 28. 2007

Is there anyone living in Agave right next to the train tracks. We are thinking about buying out there any many lots are sold so there are fewer choices and we are looking at the lots right next to the tracks.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Posted by Alana Chandler at November 29. 2007

Previously netnomad wrote:

Is there anyone living in Agave right next to the train tracks. We are thinking about buying out there any many lots are sold so there are fewer choices and we are looking at the lots right next to the tracks.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------Yes, we own 1416 Agatha Circle.  Although it is not yet complete, we spend enough time out there that we may as well live in it.  (We not only drive out to see how the house is coming, but we have LOTS of friends in Agave now. It's an uber friendly place...and we currently live by Mueller 3 min away so we are there ALOT)  Our house is just at the curve upwards off the tracks and I have been there many, many times as the train passes.  The current route is just twice a day and it's not loud to us AT ALL.  Maybe that has something to do with speed? (I seriously have no clue as to why some trains are loud but that seems to make sense) and I rather enjoy it.  We can stand outside and have flowing conversations in a normal tone...I can't imagine it ever being a nuisance...but, because that is always subjective, I would suggest finding out the train schedule exactly and driving out one day as it passes and see for yourself.  I think you'll agree--it's just not a loud train by any mreans.

Prices in Agave continue to rise and, for us, there was nothing equal to all Agave is and the value it offers...train or no.  (I work within the real estate biz). We actually paid a lot premium for our lot because of the size even though it was near the tracks (20k) and we had many others to choose from at the time if that tells you anything about our thoughts on the tracks (we bought last March)...those lots back up to miles of trees and still retain the view of downtown Austin as well. (drive there at night.  You'll be amazed)

The ones right at the tracks have no lot premiums but the same trees, etc.  There is even a home that's almost 2,500 sf backing up to them going in next to us and it stretches all the way to the back of the lot...I think that plan sells now for over $400,000 so it's hardly a viewpoint of "on the wrong side of the tracks"...I think it's simply which lot you like the most. 

Personally, I find the train charming.

Attachments

Posted by Alana Chandler at November 29. 2007

Previously catherine j wrote:

Hi There

I am trying to find what the company is that made the kitchen cabinets in all of the agave homes. I know they are made by the same company that makes ikea's cabinets. If you know the name, please let me know. Thanks
C

Yes, we live in Agave and chose our cabinets from the Ikea catalog.  They are actually very smooth, self closing when you just push them in a little, and we love em.

Posted by netnomad at November 29. 2007

Thank you so much for your feedback on the train tracks at Agave, we have put down the money for our house to be built and signed the contract today. I went out there but because someone said the trains go by at 9am and 3pm but that did we saw no trains at 9am this morning.  We just decided we loved the homes so much and the neighborhood seems so cool that we could not pass it up. We will sleep better tonight having heard from someone who is close to the tracks.   Our plan is for the Emily Little 1750 but the lot has to be sited for the house. I am crossing my fingers that it will fit well.  Thanks again and hope to see you out there as a neighbor!

Deborah and David

Posted by netnomad at November 29. 2007

Greetings all!

This is the other half of Deborah and David.  I’m the one with the Y-chromosome. :)  We were thinking about getting solar on our new house and we were wondering if anyone else has done this and if so which installer/vendor did you use?

Thanks!

Deborah and David

Posted by jamakasa at November 30. 2007
Hi netnomad: Our house backs up to the tracks and we've been there many times while the trains is cruisin' by. Once they installed the windows, insulation and drywall we could hardly hear it. I did however sense a slight vibration but, I most certainly enjoyed seeing it go by. You can only see the engine as the rest of the train is not tall enough most of the time but, also once the engine goes by, you cannot see, hear or feel a thing. It goes by at random times. We looked at MoPac/CapMetro's website and they have it listed as an overflow track meaning that when the main track is busy they use it instead. We decided to purchase our house because we researched where the floodplain was located and it is actually on the other side of the tracks where our house is located. We do however have an easement on the back which made our yard shorter than we were first told. They tell us that that the easement is our property but we cannot fence it, nor plant in it (water must flow freely). But my husband's happy as he never liked mowing a yard! you are free to look at our blog http://web.mac.com/roninmiami/iWeb/Site/agavehaus.html ~m

Previously netnomad wrote:

><p>Is there anyone living in Agave right next to the train tracks. We are thinking about buying out there any many lots are sold so there are fewer choices and we are looking at the lots right next to the tracks.&nbsp; Any feedback would be appreciated.<p>
><p>&nbsp;<p>
><p>&nbsp;<p>
><blockquote>

Posted by Kate peters at May 09. 2011

Previously The Chapmans wrote:

This is sweet that all of you Agave home buyers have started posting on this site. My husband and I have been reading it for some time as we considered buying. We're moving out from California, so it's taken a while to get the decision made. He flew out there last week to check it out. He said all's a go, so we sent in our deposit and our contract yesteray.

We are super excited about the earlier talk for a dog park and a cheese shop. We enjoy both of these things to the upmost. We're also excited to live near people who care about the environment. This was the biggest draw for us is that these homes are so green. Not to mention that the plans are sweet!

For those of you who have been through the selection process, are there any recommendations that you would make?

Anyway, I hope that we all keep this message board up so we can stay ahead of the game, and into the loop of any new developments. Keep talking!

I can't wait to meet you all in a Oct. when we move in!

Thanks!

I also love to live with people who cares about the environment. I love planting and I really care about the environment. Actually when we moved we used reusable boxes to avoid a huge impact on the environment.

movers boston