Personal tools
Sections

Modern project ClearingHouse

by Mark Meyer last modified Aug 29, 2006 03:42 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern project ClearingHouse

Posted by Mark Meyer at January 03. 2005
This is the thread to post any and all modern projects that we can come up with in Austin, and the surrounding Hill-Country. If there is a web-site associated with the project, then post that. If there is a project you see under-construction or completed, then post the address, then the rest of us can fill in any blanks....

Ready-set-go!!!

I'll start with a repost dealing with mixed-use modern projects from a while back:

There is considerable interest and momentum for mixed-use modern design in Austin, TX at the moment. There is one new project that is complete and moderately prefab (pre-engineered steel structural frame).

I for one am VERY interested in the idea of being involved in a modern (possibly prefab) version of a mixed-use complex.

Here are some links to some of the modern mixed-use projects on the drawings boards in Austin:

The Pedernales Lofts

The Saltillo Lofts

Esperanza-Robertson Hill

Esperanza-1111 E 11th

The BelAir at 4801 South Congress is a new residential condo development

Here are some links to modern scattered infill developers in town:

Metrohouse has done some nice duplex projects in the Burnet Road corridor

AustinCityHomes has done some nice duplex projects more central

Urbannature has two nice homes in South Austin

wedgeHOUSE duplex will be going up right around the corner from the Urban Nature projects on S. 2nd.

Re: Modern project ClearingHouse

Posted by Victor at January 06. 2005

Maybe this one, i am not sure
http://www.indiehomes.com/currentproject.html

Posted by Universal Constructor at January 09. 2005

Hey Mark.

WedgeHouse looks like it will be a nice addition to the Austin scene. Thanks for the links.

I should be breaking ground on 6500 sq. ft. of commercial design-build in Jonestown in the coming three months, so I'll post something interesting in due time.

It would be interesting to see if there are other developers out there interested in doing contemporary residential spec or contemporary commercial/retail and are interested in the benefits of a single source, integrated delivery of design and construction.

I'd also love to do the live work space that I worked up as a schematic model, so if there are any investment/funding sources out there, it would be interesting to get them involved in a more agressive fashion than I currently see happening with regard to contemporary projects in town.

Sincerely,

- Jonathan

Universal Joint Design Associates:
Full Service Design and Construction

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
AIA Design Associate
Austin, Texas 1 512 407 9628

www.universaljointdesign.com

Posted by Peter Hoffmann at January 10. 2005

Construction recently finished on my first residential design (my own house) at 800 Avondale in Travis Heights. I have a few pictures up at:

http://www.designaustin.com/800avondale.htm

Peter

phoffmann@designaustin.com

wedgehouse floorplan

Posted by paul schuster at January 11. 2005

Mark,

can you tell us more a/b the wedgehouse floorplan. 3br seems like a lot to fit into 1300 sf w/ a loft area and office. what about making both wedges into one unit? ...w/ a three car garage and parking for 3 more. and would that bring the 65 per sq ft goal down a bit since only one kitchen would be necessary?

and is $65 per sq ft realistic? does that include hvac?

I like what I see on the urban nature site. but they list two homes for sale and no mention of price. also they have no real pics.

paul schuster

Posted by Universal Constructor at January 11. 2005

Mark. List.

Got those new images for the Residential Spec Projects up on the site finally. Thought to show them off.

http://www.oliverlabs.net/other/universaljoint/welcome.php?menu=86submenu=90subsubmenu=93

- Jonathan

Universal Joint Design Associates:
Full Service Design and Construction

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
AIA Design Associate
Austin, Texas 1 512 407 9628

www.universaljointdesign.com

Attachments

Re: wedgehouse floorplan

Posted by Mark Meyer at January 11. 2005

[quote:fuegos100 format=text/plain]Mark,

can you tell us more a/b the wedgehouse floorplan. 3br seems like a lot to fit into 1300 sf w/ a loft area and office. what about making both wedges into one unit? ...w/ a three car garage and parking for 3 more. and would that bring the 65 per sq ft goal down a bit since only one kitchen would be necessary?

and is $65 per sq ft realistic? does that include hvac?

I like what I see on the urban nature site. but they list two homes for sale and no mention of price. also they have no real pics.

paul schuster[/quote]

Well not really. There are three LARGE bedrooms (12'X 11', 9'-9X 15'-7, and 13'x 11'), but the Living room/dining area is only 16'X 15'. Since these are rental units that will all work fine. The total SF is 1378 s.f. The $65/s.f. cost goal is based on the owner acting as GC and doing a significant amount of the finish work himself, so I doubt if that number will come down below that.

I don't see the wedgeHOUSE plan as very suitable for combining into one large unit, as the floor plan pretty much precludes that. I'll email you the floor plan and you'll know what I mean.

The Urban Nature projects are almost done. They are OK, but there are a bunch of things I'd have done differnt. One of the projects is VERY similar to my courtHOUSE idea.

Mark

Posted by Mark Meyer at February 07. 2005
MoonUnits has just put up a sign at their site on S. 1st St. This looks to be avery nice project, in that the spaces are very industrial but nicely conceived. I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes, and the developers will make a bundle. I seem to see a thread with the stripped down structure that is sp prevalent in this project and the Pedernales. Big dumb boxes with exposed open web steel joists and stained and sealed concrete floors. Nice, simple, and terribly cheap to build (assuming you have an economy of scale, which I'm sure 12 units gets you)

Mark

Posted by colleen dement harris at February 18. 2005

Dement Harris Design designed the duplexes for Austin City Homes. The designer, Don Harris, can be reached at donharris@austin.rr.com. The two projects are located at 2317 West 9th and 701 Theresa, both in Austin. Several more are under construction.
He can provide design services as well as GC if interested. Don is currently working with several developers constructing this housing type.

A website will be coming soon illustrating other projects.

Posted by Mark Meyer at March 22. 2005
New east Austin project on East Cesar Chavez. Live-work lofts.

Waterstreet Lofts

Posted by Mark Meyer at August 18. 2005
A few new modern developments have popped up recently:

space2525, designed by Micheal Antonerra looks to be a nice addition to South Lamar

Satsuma 53 developed and designed by KRDB

Milago Condos on Town Lake

Guadalupe 31 mixed use condos/retail by Dick Clark

Posted by christiane at February 17. 2006

My husband and I are blogging our modernist remodel/addition:

http://www.thismetalife.com/erwinhouse/

There are before and during pics, plus conceptual drawings and floorplans. We're in the middle of construction now :)

Posted by Jonathan Duke at May 20. 2006

Here is the project my wife and I are currently working on. It's a small 1600 sq ft project just off of 45th. The planning has been done, permits done, and we should start roughing in the plumbing in about a 2 weeks. Check the link below for updates

http://www.fullsizechevys.com/oakmont.htm

jonathan

west lake hills

Posted by paul schuster at August 29. 2006

looks like an interesting project going up in WLH. the blog can be found here.

http://austinmodhouse.com/blog/