Personal tools
Sections

Original Mid Century Modern Architectural Floorplan

by Cherie Gilbert last modified Dec 31, 2012 10:05 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 26 votes)

Original Mid Century Modern Architectural Floorplan

Posted by Cherie Gilbert at November 09. 2005

We live in Georgetown and want an original 1950's - 1960's mid century modern home. We can not move to Austin at this time as our children are in middle and high school. We want to find original floorplans not new ones and build as close to period as possible. Does anyone have their floorplan that they would be willing to sell? I feel it is important to keep to period inorder to make it a true mid century modern home. We have bought old floorplan books off ebay, but the companies do not have them still on file. We went to California this summer to research Eichler and Cliff May Homes, We love Atomic Ranch Magazine. Has anyone contacted them to have your house featured in their magazine?

Cherie Gilbert
Georgetown,Tx.
512-922-4531

Re: Original Mid Century Modern Architectural Floorplan

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at November 09. 2005

The Eichler Network sells copies of original Eichler plans - with the understanding that they are used for restoration, and not to build new houses. Even if you tried you would need to bring the structures up to code and the plans would have to be reworked even if the layout remained the same.

I did similar research into stock house plans 3 years ago - this is the research that led me to create and offer modern house plans. I found that almost all of the nice modern plans that were published in the 50s and 60s had been yanked from circulation by the big plan publishers. The plans had gone far enough out of code compliance that it was not worth it to them to update them as they were not big sellers.

But those old plan books, and the Eichler designs are a good starting point for working with a local architect. I'm afraid that it the only way you will get something that looks authentic period and can be permitted in today's building climate.

Posted by Ben Phenix at November 09. 2005

you can find some eichler floorplans at: http://www.eichlersocal.com/floorplans/FPindex1.htm to at least understand conceptually how they were designed. there are a number of local architects who work in similar concept and could adapt.

i have an another idea that may be of interest.
if you like, contact me off list at:
bp@modernaustin.com

ben.

Posted by Robert M. Carnochan at November 09. 2005

Check this site - they're building a couple mid century retro houses in Dallas. They also post on the Blog Section with some in progress shots.

http://www.davidgriffin.com/Index.aspx?loc=4area=5id=ctrl/Listing.ascx

Have fun!

Rob