Sections

Austin Resources For Stainless Countertops and Cable Rail

by Adrian J. Cardwell last modified Mar 03, 2006 12:40 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Austin Resources For Stainless Countertops and Cable Rail

Posted by Adrian J. Cardwell at February 13. 2006

Good evening, all.

I've purchased a dated condo in SE Austin, and am starting a number of projects to give this place a modern feel. There are a couple of projects in particular I'm hoping to get some advice or direction from some of the experts participating in this forum. :)

(1) I want to knock out the knee wall in the loft and replace it with a cable rail system, to give this small space a more open look and feel. I have found some resources for the cable rail systems online, but I'm really more interested in locating a local supplier.

(2) I'm absolutely enamored with the idea of stainless steel countertops in the kitchen, but have no idea of the cost or even if stainless ocuntertops are a good idea.

Any thoughts, direction or advice?

Cheers,

Adrian

Re: Austin Resources For Stainless Countertops and Cable Rail

Posted by Karen Pittman at February 14. 2006

I love my stainless steel island top. The stove is on the island, so it's handy to be able to put hot pots on the stainless and not worry about scorching it. It does scratch, but I don't think the scratches detract. A year and half later, there are enough scratches that none of them stand out -- they make a nice texture.

If you want to cover a surface that will fit into a little less than a 4' x 10' area, you can go to a sheet metal shop and do it very economically. I used Pat's Sheet Metal; my cabinet guy made a plywood base already cut out for the stove, and Pat's used that as a guide, made a lip all the way around, and brazed the corners. If there have to be welds (to make it longer than 10', or to go around corners, or to include an integral backsplash) then you'll need to use a stainless shop and it will be more expensive.

Have fun,
-KP

Posted by Vikas Wadhwa at February 14. 2006

KP,

Could you post or email me pics of your countertops? would love to see the difference between the work of sheet metal company vs. a true stainless countertop fabricator? Can i ask how much your counters cost?

Email: vik1109@yahoo.com or if u could post here...that would be great also?

Thanks,

Vik

Posted by Mark Meyer at February 15. 2006

adrian

As far as local sourcing of stainless steel cable rails systems, if you want something nice and clean your only source will be catalogs, either cable-rail or some sailing equipment catalogs. You can DIY, but it is REALLY HARD to get the cables tight enough and the swaging tool required to properly terminate the ends isn't cheap. Another option with a similar feel is to use standard 1/2 electrical conduit, which can either pass through your uprights or be atached with the off-the shelf conduit clips. Not quite as elegant, but also WAY more DIY friendly and cheaper.

Regards,
Mark Meyer

p.s. send me an email and I'll put you on the Austin Modernists meet-up list. We will be having another meeting the last Friday of Feb, and would love to have some new folks out.

Posted by Pat Conroy at March 03. 2006
Take a look at Handcrafted Metal on E. 7th. They do great work.