Personal tools
Sections

Stenger SOLD!

by Mike Derr last modified Sep 26, 2005 11:33 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Stenger SOLD!

Posted by Mike Derr at August 23. 2005

This place just went on the market: [url href=http://216.68.99.205/ahs/GetResults2New.asp?loginType=CompanyCode=1717BranchCode=1AgentCode=1PropertyId=7012344RecordID=0PortfolioCode=1SMC=#]2405 Ridgeview[/url]
When we looked at it, it had been on the market four days, they had already accepted an offer and had four backups! The owner was nice enough to let us walk through anyway.
Anyone on this board the lucky winner?
Here are a few pics:

Re: Stenger SOLD!

Another:

Attachments

Can someone tell me how to include more than one image per post?

Attachments

The back.

Attachments

Posted by Ben Phenix at August 23. 2005

yeah, that was quick which is really a great thing. glad to hear it was passing to a Stenger fan too which means that it will stay and likely not be remodelled in some horrible way. there was mention of expansion plans that were drawn, did anyone see them? i am curious to what they had in mind.

Yes, I saw the plans, too. They extended the house in front (there's not much backyard). From the left hand side of the house, there was a glass hall into a master suite that would be pretty much in front of where this pic is taken. The carport would be pulled forward and that whole area that is now open and under the carport would be a courtyard.

Attachments

Posted by sydney rubin at August 26. 2005

My teenage son and I were searching this board for some design ideas for the extension we hope to build on the house at 2405 Ridgeview, when we ran across this string on the message board. We were delighted, and thought we should introduce ourselves as the lucky buyers with the first bid in to the current owners who have cared so well for their beautiful house.

We're now looking at ways to extend the Stenger space because the house is just a little small for us. But, then, the modernist house we're selling in Tarrytown is just a little too big. Which is why we're downsizing.

Our house is not yet on the market(we're still organizing messy closets) but I'd love to post a couple of photos in case someone here is interested. I'm not sure how to do and could use some help if someone can provide some techsupport.

The house is a flat-roofed mid-century box, 4-5 bedrooms, 2400 sq ft, window walls, amazing light, interior courtyard and terraced garden. It's a happy house. The Stegner house is, too. We're looking forward to the move, and would love to hear from others who also live in or have worked on Stegner homes.

Posted by Chuck Voelter at August 26. 2005

welcome to the board! and congratulations on the house!

I might be the 'resident Stenger fan #1' as I sorta introduced the board to the man by way of the 'A.D.Stenger' thread after my wife and I purchased a Stenger a couple of blocks from yours. Take a look at that thread for an overview of what I/we know.

If you're interested in seeing the addition I've done to our house just drop me a message.

What kind of tech support do you need? Do you have a digital camera and a way to link it to your computer? I'm POSITIVE that there are folks here who would like to see the house you're selling.

chuck

Posted by Mark Meyer at August 28. 2005

srubin,

I for one would LOVE to discuss with you your thoughts on adding on (mostly just to get to see the inside of your new home, and maybe to see the old home as well.) I am currently working on a renovation of a 40's concrete block bungalow, that will take it from hip-roofed obscurity to a more Mid-century post and beam gabled affair (a la Eichler). It would be great to see some of Stenger's details up close.

Drop me a line of board if you'd like to discuss your needs and plans for your addition.

Regards,
Mark Meyer

Posted by Clane Hayward at September 23. 2005

Hello hello hello! We saw the listing for the stenger you just bought, and read with deep interest your post about selling your own modernist home. I, in fact, am beside myself just to have found this site. My partner and I live in San Francisco and are about to move to Austin; in fact we are coming out to Austin October 7/8/9 to look at homes to buy. We've seen very few of the type of houses we'd like. Here's our desperate cry for modernist help!! To all of you who post on this site, we are looking for 1500 to 2000 square feet near the center of town, SoCo or Tarrytown, Hyde Park , Travis Heights. A real Stenger would be fabulous but we'd be happy to see anything interesting, cool, spare, architectural, with that clean Japanese aesthetic. Please respond...thanks so much...8)

Posted by Ben Phenix at September 24. 2005

not to self promote ;) but check out modernaustin.com

confirmed stengers are not super common on the market. they generally are owned for long periods of time (more than a few seem to have the orginal oweners still in them).

however, there are many others fine examples out there. there is a great looking mid-century Fehr and Granger in Tarrytown listed on the site as well as a couple more classic 50's mod designs.

stenger was also active in Rollingwood which is near Barton Hills. I was just through there with a camera and there are at least 30 examples. however, i didn't see a single one for sale sign up (something I can't say for just about any other area of town).

i've been out of town and quite busy for a bit now but expect to see some more listings later today or tomorrow.

Posted by Clane Hayward at September 25. 2005

I did visit modernaustin and it was a great resource, we found four more homes to ask our agent about when we come to visit Austin. Thanks for that. I'm now completely strung out on modernism, heart racing, sweat breaking out on my forehead, unable to concentrate on ordinary things like feeding the dog and making it to work on time. I can't wait to see some of the places we've asked our agent about. Specifically the little grey house 5402 Joe Sayers Ave-I was wondering if any of you have passed by it, seen it, know anything about it. We do need space to build a garage and I can't tell, even with satellite photos, whether there's room on the side of the house or in front to contruct a driveway, carport, etc. In the meantime I'm just sitting here jonesing...

I give joe sayers a big thumbs down

Posted by paul schuster at September 26. 2005

I saw it w/ my realtor and was very disappointed. it mike make a good income property as it has two seperate living areas both w/ full bath and living room. also near bus line.

but it was dark in there. few small windows and the rooms were smallish. no garage as it was converted to the 2nd living room which has it's own entry.

there is no room at the sides for a garage. it's a nice back yard though.