Personal tools

Glidehouse or Breezeway in Austin

by LiveModern Webmaster last modified Oct 17, 2005 08:39 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Glidehouse or Breezeway in Austin

Posted by LiveModern Webmaster at October 16. 2005

I AM planning to move to Austin and would love to build either of the Kaufmann homes there. 2 questions: will the transportation fees from Canada be more than the house? What experience is there adding HVAC equipment and duct work inside the house for best green value? Austin has such a hot humid climate--is there any hope for Kaufmann's concepts? Kindly advise. Thanks

Re: Glidehouse or Breezeway in Austin

Posted by Mark Meyer at October 16. 2005

You may be better off looking into doing a custom design produced by a local manufacturer. The shipping costs will kill your budget, not to mention shipping a house from Canada isn't the most green friendly idea out there. Labor is still fairly inexpensive here in Austin, so your $$ will go a LOT further than on the West Coast, so you may actually be able to afford a nicer house if you had it built locally, than if you bought the existing designs, had them modified to fit the climate, and then shipped alll the way fom Canada.

Where abouts are you thinking about building? Do you have land yet?

Mark Meyer

Re: Glidehouse or Breezeway in Austin

Posted by Marshall Mayer at October 17. 2005

I'm sorry that you did not find out about the Glidehouse in Vancouver soon enough so that you could have seen it first hand. It was an amazing show, with almost 50,000 people in attendance. I was at the show when you posted, and have just arrived back at my office.

We are in conversations with a factory that will deliver to Austin. While I cannot tell you when the deal will be struck, they do know that our demand in Texas is enough to justify their up front costs to retool for MKD specifications (including for green HVAC).

I hope you have inquired using one of our forms (I'm a bit behind, and will reply). Also, be sure you are subscribed to the Glidehouse (or Breezehouse) News ( ). We'll let you know when the factory is open to build MKD homes.