Sections

Looking for a LOT in East Austin

by Jeremy Chichester last modified May 24, 2005 03:16 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Looking for a LOT in East Austin

Posted by Jeremy Chichester at April 28. 2005

New here, love the site!

I'm looking for a small lot on the East side, preferably Area 5. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to locate lots for sale in a particular neighborhood? I know of all the tools for finding an existing house: coldwellbankerunited.com, austinhomesearch.com, craigslist, etc but I haven't yet found the right one.

I'd like to find an undesirable, ugly, treeless lot that most builders would pass on, something oddly long and narrow so the price would be reasonable. I'm mainly concerned about location. The closer to downtown the better. I plan on building a 1200 sq ft modern home with a budget of only $150k including the lot. Sound crazy? I believe this is possible with a simple rectangular design and inexpensive materials.

Any tips and/or suggestions are much appreciated!

Re: Looking for a LOT in East Austin

Posted by tom mot at April 28. 2005

We're in the same boat. We're looking to build a 1000-1200sf modern home as well, and have also considered East Austin as a potential location. It's either that, or north of the lakes where land with incredible lake and hill country views can be had for ridiculously cheap (to the tune of $7k for some), albeit 45 minutes away from town. In any case, have you considered doing an MLS search for lots, or for homes under $50k? There's a few homes listed in that range that you might be able to buy and tear down. Not sure how much the tear down part would run, but it might be worth looking into.

Posted by Karen Pittman at April 28. 2005

www.austinhomesearch.com has a Lots Search facility - check the links on the left side.

I just did a search for lots in area 5 under $60K, and there are 16 of them. There are some in the 25 year flood plain for $2990! They aren't too close to downtown though.

-KP

Thanks for the responses. There are a few on austinhomesearch that look good, close to downtown. I ride my bike to work at 6th Lamar every day so location is very important to me.

I'll report back when I've completed my search. Wish me luck!

Posted by tom mot at April 28. 2005

Do you work at Waterloo Records by any chance?

[quote:strain format=text/plain]Do you work at Waterloo Records by any chance?[/quote]

GSDM

Posted by Susan McElroy at May 01. 2005

Don't you have to meet special requirements to build on a flood plain? I'd be careful...

I have a lot for sale, but it's in an industrial area...nowhere near downtown...

Posted by Universal Constructor at May 24. 2005

Hey Boxy.

Find a Designer or Real Estate Agent that is very familiar with Austin's Neighborhood Planning Process and the attendant COA development of the area (#1).

#2 I'd consider East Austin a niche market at the moment and would be willing to turn you on to a Real Estate Agent that is working in the area. I've established relationships with a number of lenders and lot guys as well, that either buy and sell full time or loan money to somewhat bottom-feeding developers.

Way too much going on regarding mining these types of contacts but feel free to contact me off-list if you want to talk about it.

East Austin is very warm to hot these days, so to a large extent there are $ that come to anyone finding the kind of lots that you are looking for. However, we've done quite a bit of work on shooting the gap with respect to what may or may not be readily available info on what is happening East Side.

Most Sincerely,

Jonathan

Universal Joint Design Associates

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
AIA Design Associate
Austin, Texas 1 512 407 9628

Development + Design + Construction

www.universaljointdesign.com

Attachments