Personal tools

Wedge House Duplex

by Pat Devaney last modified Jun 27, 2008 04:10 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Wedge House Duplex

Posted by Pat Devaney at January 23. 2005

Hello Austin, I've been a frequent visitor to livemodern for quite awhile. This is my first post. I will be building the Wedge House that Mark Meyer has talked about. I came across Mark through this forum, contacted him and we started working on the plans for a duplex which would not be the run of the mill cookie-cutter design. One of the main goals was to exploit the virtues of the SIP technology. I've been involved in the building of 4 SIP shells. I would never build any other way and I also believe if anyone uses them they will never go back to using sicks. I've only used Korwall SIPS. But Mark and I are looking to try Thermocore if their half way reasonable. We've attempted to design the Wedge to keep costs to a minimum. Some of the ideas for keeping costs down invlove using a central chase area to house all hvac, electrical, plumbing, hot water and gas distribution. This is how some commercial buildings are done.
We will also be using corrugated metal siding like the 'Austin Freedom House'. I really like this industrial look. I've priced out the seam lock from Mueller, Metal Mart and Hirschfield. The prices range from $1.00 - $1.50 sq. ft. in Galvalum plus and goes right on top of tar paper. The good thing about the galvalume is that it doesn't need painting, which should save some money. Also looking to use 1/2 birch plywood and twinwall polycarbonate for a lot of the interior finish. 1/2 birch is around $28/sheet, thats less than a dollar/sq.ft. Put 2 coats of waterbased poly on it and it looks great. I know $28/sheet is a lot more expensive than sheetrock but if you factor in tape/float painting. The price is not that far out. The Polygal version of twinwall is $60/4x8 sheet in Austin. I hear that it is quite a bit less in San Antonio. The first floor will have clear coat concrete finish. Not sure about the 2nd story flooring. I'm thinking about possibly using recycled rubber flooring like they use in weight rooms.

Any input on cost efficient stratagies or just cool ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've gotten many great ideas from Mark, he has no problem thinking out of the box and is very innovative. The location is very close to downtown so once it gets going I gladly invite anyone over to check out the progress.

Looking forward to any comments. Thanks,
Pat Devaney

Re: Wedge House Duplex

Posted by tom mot at January 23. 2005

Thanks for the info. If you haven't done so already, you should start a blog to document the progress in getting the wedge duplexes built. I'm very interested in seeing how things go with regards to your finish materials, costs, etc.

Posted by Pat Devaney at January 23. 2005

Hey strain, I saw you're post about wanting to build. Quite a few good replies, did you see the house that Idie Builders did? I believe he was trying to bring it in for right at 100k. It looks like he's finished with it. The interior has a really great looking loft. There's a link to it somewhere in the Austin forum. Once the Wedge project breaks ground I will probably start a blog. I may be naieve about the cost of building, but from the limited amount of building that I have done it looks like there should be ways to get the cost down. Labor is definately a huge part of the cost. The prices I've seen on a lot of the modern stuff is unbelievable. I think if you think simple and straight forward and get a good architect who thinks the same way great things can happen. I've never used an architect in the past, but I'm finding that a good one is well worth it. Mark Meyer has turned me on to ideas that I would of never thought of. I also came across a guy named Guido Devita (Domus Construction). This guy has some awsome ideas. He's like a mad scientist of building with metal and plastics. Mark and Guido both think out of the box. I can't wait to get the Wedges started. Say if you want to gain some basic building skills, I'll put you to work.

Posted by joe smith at June 27. 2008

The Polygal version of twinwall is $60/4x8 sheet in Austin. I hear that it is quite a bit less in San Antonio !

Where did you find the polygal for 60 dollars must be smal gauge . I just got a quote for 48" X 96" for over $120.00 a sheet for 16mm which is alot less than leaxan.

That is half the price I was quoted/

I'm curious where it is available for that price. I need like either 22 sheets of 4 x 8 or 7 sheets 48" X 24'