Personal tools

Where are the mid-century moderns in Austin?

by tom mot last modified May 20, 2005 06:47 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Where are the mid-century moderns in Austin?

Posted by tom mot at May 20. 2005

I ran across a website dedicated to a neighborhood in Houston that has a concentration of mid-century modern homes...

[url href=][/url]

...and was wondering if there's anything similar for Austin? Not so much a website, but rather specific areas of town featuring this type of residential architecture? I know there's a few somewhere in Travis Heights, but are there other areas of town to look to?

I'm really starting to become fascinated with this type of design. Seems that Houston has tons of it - like this gorgeous one for sale in Memorial ([url href=][/url]).

Re: Where are the mid-century moderns in Austin?

Posted by Mark Meyer at May 20. 2005

You'll find MCM houses mostly in Zilker Heights (especially on Rundell), in RollingWood (just west of MoPac south of the River), along Balcones north of 35th street (along the west side of Camp Mabry) and up off of ShoalCreek Blvd, North of Allandale.
Almost all of the really important MCM homes (by the likes of Harwell Hamilton Harris, et al) are scattered throughout the Balcones neighborhood. There are also pockets of them further East near the intersection of MLK and 183. Other than that they are pretty few and far between.

Remember that until recently Austin was a tiny little town, and in the 50's it was even tinier. In the 20's Hyde Park was a suburb on the outskirts of town! Now 80 years later it is considered central! The biggest drawback to Austin's architectural heritage is that there has never been a huge stock of any type of building, so we have to make do with what we have.