Personal tools
Sections

New to site and to Austin; looking for good house.

by Dave Romine last modified Apr 21, 2005 09:34 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

New to site and to Austin; looking for good house.

Posted by Dave Romine at April 05. 2005

Hi, all!

Delighted to come across the website and this forum, in particular. Please help me in my search to purchase a recently or soon-to-be completed contemporary residence (of any type, e.g. single family, townhouse, condo) in Austin.

Preferences: price range up to $350k; in town or nearby; good design; secure; low maintenance; efficient/green construction. New to the Austin area, my interest is a place in a real neighborhood-community and not in an isolated suburban setting.

Is there anything you all know of like this available now or in the near future (Please see fine 'courthouse' I found on this site):
http://www.livemodern.com/Members/eamesdaedelus/courtHOUSE-rainscreen.jpg/image_view_fullscreen ?

Much obliged, in advance, for the assist.
Dave

Re: New to site and to Austin; looking for good house.

Posted by Karen Pittman at April 06. 2005

Look at the Metrohouse offerings, which are north central and in a very neighborly neighborhood (mine, in fact). They tend to do urban infill projects which involve two residences on one lot (duplexes, I suppose, but they are separately ownable and usually share no walls), very modern, open floorplans. There's one just being finished on the corner of Woodrow and Romeria, and another that I like better at 1903 Allegria.

http://www.metrohouseaustin.com/

Good luck!
-KP

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at April 06. 2005

I thought Mark Meyer was working with a developer building a pair of houses. Perhaps they were rentals? Maybe the developer wouldn't mind pre-selling one.

Here - I dug it out:

wedgeHOUSE is a 1300 s.f three bedroom/ two bathroom per side duplex project slated for construction on a standard infill lot in South Central Austin. Twin stand-alone units sidle up to the setbacks and slip past each other, forming private exterior courtyards as they come to rest. Each twin will be clad in a different colored metal siding, one in vertical galvalum standing seam, the other in a vibrant red metal siding. The units are composed of a SIP wall and roof system with a SIP panel second floor structure to ease erection and eliminate trades on erection day. Windows and window walls will be light commercial grade aluminum frame windows. The target construction cost is $65/s.f. (which assumes the client will act as General Contractor and perform much of the necessary labor)

[url href=http://www.livemodern.com/Members/eamesdaedelus/document.2004-11-23.8020200062]Marks Austin wedge houses[/url]

Posted by Dave Romine at April 06. 2005

Thanks a bunch. Will contact Mark and see what status of these houses are.
Best,
Dave

Posted by Dave Romine at April 06. 2005

Thanks, KP. These houses had already caught my eye. Other concern, there, called 'metrohome' shows houses avail in S. Austin. Any info on these properties?
Cheers,
Dave

Posted by tom mot at April 07. 2005

Hi Dave, welcome to Austin.

A $350k budget will go pretty far in Austin, especially if you're not set on living in the Downtown, West Central or Westlake areas. Have you considered purchasing land, consulting with an architect and having a home custom built? If you like Mark's courtHouse plan I think you could easily have it realized, or something similar, for well within your budget. I've inquired in my posts about that particular design, and he's indicated that it could possibly be done as cheaply as $100 per sq foot minus land and architect fees. I figure that's about $130,000, plus $10k for design. With your budget that'd leave another $200k or so for land and upgrades - which will get you pretty much wherever you want to be. For example, if you don't mind the drive, there's land in Lago Vista (north of the lakes, about 45 minutes from town) with gorgeous, panoramic, lake/hill country views for a little as $7500 for .20 acre. And with six figures to spend on land you could be on the lake or near the center of town. You're in a very good position to build an incredible home I think.

My point is, check out the blogs and discussions about having your home custom built. It's amazing what can be done for the money. And best of all, rather than settling for a whatever is available on the market, you'd have a house designed to your specifications and personalized to your tastes.

Good luck! And whichever route you take, we all want to see pictures!

Posted by Mark Meyer at April 09. 2005

Dave,

strain is right. Your $350k budget will go quite far in Austin, assuming you aren't looking in the higher-priced areas of town. The courtHOUSE could definitely be built for $350K assuming you got a piece of land for between $100K and $150K. You should shop around in South Austin, the East-side, and in the Crestview/Allandale neighborhood. For $350K you could also find a nicely kept 50's or 60's rancher and update and add on in a more modern manner. You really have a lot of options.

Mark Meyer

Posted by Dave Romine at April 21. 2005

Thanks for all the advice -- the idea of doing a custom with an architect (like the court house) really does make sense. A cursory look at property in the city has confirmed this. With no time crunch to do so, I think this is the tack to take.
Cheers!
Dave